Friday, March 28, 2008

We're HERE!!!!!

Hello everyone!!

After a looooooonnnnnnggggg 31 hour journey we can finally say we are HERE!!

Of course the journey was not without it's fair share of.....hmmm.....sighs of relief (to put a positive spin on it...). We made it to the airport in plenty of time despite some wet snow/sleet/rain falling on our journey. Sigh of relief. We checked in with no problem and our luggage was blissfully well within the allowable weight range (HUGE sigh of relief!) The screener at the airport was the first person to ever inquire about my maiden name being on the front page of my passport (but not the last - it's been examined quite a few times since!). Security was a little hinky, but the line wasn't long and we had plenty of time.

Our bags were checked through, but we were not, so when we got to San Francisco we inquired about how best to address that issue and found that the ticket counter didn't even open for over 2 hours so we got a soda and watched a movie on my laptop. I thought I'd take advantage of WiFi, but SF airport doesn't have free WiFi afterall. Oh well. We thought we'd check in and then get something to eat over in the international terminal while we waited out the rest of our layover. Hmmm.... SF airport has a surprisingly small international terminal! We were doing laps (just to be doing something active) and could walk the whole terminal in about 10 mins. Our food options were slightly less than stellar(in number), but we stumbled onto a Japanese noodle place where we had a yummy bowl of Udon noodle soup with tons of chicken and seafood for $2 more than the place next door was charging for a white bread sandwich.

No problems getting on to our Taipei flight and it was really neat to watch the waves crashing against the coastline as we left SF. We saw the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz from the air and that was also pretty neat! Our flight was great and there were two adorable babies to watch for some of it (they were kind of far ahead of us). Now I'm antsy to hold that baby of mine! We landed, changed money, and went through immigration with no problems at all. Then it was time to pick up our luggage. Around and around the carousel went.....and around....and around.... and I said to Steve, "you know, I'd feel a little more comfortable if just ONE of our bags would show up (we had 3)." and he agreed. A couple more times around and two of them showed up at once. And then the baggage carousel went around and around and around some more and we kept saying "well there's still lots of people here...." and then pretty soon there weren't so much lots of people there. There was us and another couple and one bag which wasn't ours. Vermont anyone?? Thankfully, it suddenly came into view - alone and forlorn and we excitedly plucked it from the belt and met our driver.

I'm calling it quits for tonight, but will try to blog some more tomorrow night. I'm warning you all now - I'm not double journaling this trip, so you'll have to read whatever volume of material I decide to write for myself and LIKE IT! ha ha ha. I'll try to keep myself in check or divide it up or something. Tomorrow we're off to Taichung for the day and we're excited!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Prays answered for a good trip. You write what you want. It's your blog. Not like we are paying admission. Ha Ha!

Carrie said...

PRAYERS answered. I guess I better start previewing my comments!

Anonymous said...

SOOO glad to read that you are there safe and sound with no real trouble to speak of. Mostly I'm glad to read your blog so I can tell our nurotic mother to quit calling me! :) Love you both, and can't wait to hear more about your "bentures"! Especially to get Colby. No worries, Henry is still tucked in my tummy safe and sound and although he is killing my ribs, shows no sign of leaving soon.
Love you!
Katie

Jeri said...

Hey, Katie, glad to hear Henry is still holding on. I know Sarah wants to be home when he's born.

S/S, so glad y'all made it there! We've been gone all day to co-op so I'm just catching up. Please type in detail and blog it all away; you know I'm here just soaking it all up.
Jeri

Grace's Loyal Subjects said...

Sarah,

Yipeeyahoo! You're there!!!! I am so excited for you!!! Hopefully we can meet when we get there. Can't wait to read all about your little one!!!

Katie Lemm said...

Hey Toad!

So glad to hear you made it all right. You guys are so cute doing laps around the airport terminal! Hope you enjoy your day tomorrow and can't wait to hear about it all, especially holding your little one! Glad to hear you're hanging in there, too, Katie. :)

later gator!
Katie

Sharada & Richard Kettle said...

Now that I can finally post...had troubles eons ago!

We are glad to know that all is well (luggage included) and find it interesting that SF airport is a quite a bore. :-(

We hope many adventures for your guys and a great union between you two and Colby.

Upon your return, we have lots of adoption news to share with you too! :-0

Shara & Rich

Sarah k said...

Yep. International Flying is interesting isn't it?? I felt kind of like royalty on our flight though, it was the BATS in my stomach not calming down that was the worst part of our flight. Oh that and how they had broken my stroller. Which we found out when we got there to get our stuff! OH WELL!