I'm up early (6:30 which ISN'T early back home - I'm usually up by 5:30!), but Steve is still sleeping so I figured I'd let the man sleep since after tomorrow there will likely be no more of that! I've been meaning to make a few comments on our room, so I figured this was as good an opportunity as any!
I consider myself a reasonably intelligent woman (well - I was before I had kids anyway! Now I guess maybe it's questionable.) The faucet in our bathroom turns ON by pushing the handle DOWN. I absolutely cannot get my head wrapped around this. We've been here a little less than 36 hours and I've used the faucet more than a handful of times. I've also soaked the surrounding area more than a handful of times trying to turn the faucet off. WHY? Why can't I get it right and why is it configured in that manner? Two questions which will undoubtedly remain unanswered for all time.
Okay, SERIOUSLY people - I JUST typed the above paragraph not five minutes ago and then decided to take a quick bathroom break. Yeah, you guessed it, I nearly ripped the faucet handle off trying to turn it on. SENSELESS!!!!!
Back to the room. The oddities of this room do not stop there. No.... We have no shower curtain. This presents two interesting situations. One is that we will get water all over the bathroom floor when we shower (although admittedly the effect of this is somewhat diminished due to the handy trough right next to the tub). This is not a huge problem. The second is that we traveled with only 7 days worth of clothes (more days worth than we took to China!) and were planning to repeat our "in room laundry scenario". Well now we have nowhere at all to dry clothes. We're still thinking about what our options might be here. Capris (me) and shorts (Steve) can be worn and re-worn, but shirts, socks, and underwear are kind of another story because...
It's hot and muggy here. For anyone who's been to China, but not Taiwan - think Guangzhou. Everything feels a little wet. ALL THE TIME. I thought I'd better explain that before I continue...
I hung up a bra to dry the night we got here after I quickly rinsed it out and when I went to bed last night it was almost all dry. Does that give you a good picture? So I'm actually not convinced that the in room laundry scheme would've worked all that well anyway. I think our plan will be to wash underwear and socks in the room and hang them on the towel bar (I'm sure the maid will love that one!) to dry for however long it takes them to dry and we'll have to find a dry cleaner/laundry or something to wash a few shirts, etc. Or we'll stink. That's another option. Just stink it up. "Those stinky Gannaways" they'll call us.
Now that you know all about that (and those of you who said, "oh, blog away, we'll read whatever you want to write" are cursing yourselves for ever having said it), I'll continue the running oddity commentary.
Another oddity of our room is that we have two suitcase racks that look like marble covered dressers. Yep, that's what they look like. That's not what they are. They are marble covered tables with what LOOKS LIKE a drawer. It is not. It's all a big facade. Literally. there is a small drawer much like you'd find as the "top drawer" in the middle of a desk. Hmmm.... not much space to put anything, so we'll be working on rearranging the suitcases today. Dividing things equally amongst them is great if you are traveling and anticipating the possibility that you'll lose one (or more), but not so great if you're trying to find something.
Lastly (and I can hear the collective sigh of relief from HERE! ha ha), we've been running our air conditioning in the room on low since we got here. It takes most of the muggy out of the air and our room is pretty comfortable. The humidity plays a little trick in the early morning and the evening though - I don't know if it's because it's cooler outside and the moisture can hang low or why it is, but our room feels chilly but sticky. So I find myself putting on a sweater but hesitant to turn the air off. It's just an interesting feeling - I'm not complaining - it's something we don't feel at home and I thought I'd throw it in here so I can remember it later.
Sadly, I have no fun pictures of any of these things, so I'm going to take my leave and maybe scrapbook awhile before my darling husband wakes up and we start the day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Maybe I missed it, which hotel are you in? We just got a room at the Caesar Park.
I also enjoy hearing about the weather! I have no idea what to pack!
Sarah, I am just laughing right now, but I know it a few short weeks possibly, that we will experience the same or worse in Viet Nam.
We got our travel guide book from the PM yesterday and were cringing at reading "expect to change your clothes 3-4 times a day, and try to shower just a much otherwise you will have to endure constant stickiness..."
I think I am glad we are considering hotels with laundry service, but how much laundry are we going to be doing when we were planning to do much the same as you with a weeks worth of clothes and some room washing to save a little??
BTW glad to see a bra post...it means you not only thought of remembering to pack them, but followed thru because you wouldn't be able to have one hanging up that long to dry and still go out...if you catch my drift!
Post a Comment