Sally was fantastic from the start and wanted to know all about what we'd done so far and what we were planning to do and told me not to be nervous (that didn't work, for the record). We hailed a cab and started off for the orphanage. In conversation, I mentioned our appointment at AIT on 4/1. Sally said, "No, your appointment is on 4/3!" So it looks like a message got lost somewhere along the line and we now have today and tomorrow off. No big deal for us as we didn't have any concrete plans anyway, but I'm glad I mentioned it in conversation or we'd have showed up at AIT today - and apparently they're having some training and no one would've been there!!
The cab ride seemed long, but was really only about 30-40 minutes. Before I had much of a chance to think about it, Sally said, we're almost there!! My heart leaped into my throat and my stomach did a somersault.
When we arrived at Chung Yi about 10:45, we learned that Colby (Tian Fu) was still on his way and that we'd go over some paperwork first. I was initially confused because unlike with Kailin, Colby's adoption was already final and I couldn't think of what paperwork there would be left to go over! It was just his schedule and our copies of the first and final decrees and our copy of the contract. We were also presented with a chop (a Chinese stamp) with Colby's Chinese name on it. It was used on all the official paperwork to "sign" his name, and it's something we'll keep for him always. Then we received an even greater (and more unexpected if that's possible) gift. A photo of his birthmom and her parents. We think it's a little dated as she looks like a teenager in it and she is not a teenager now, but we are thankful beyond belief to be able to share that with him. He has her nose for certain and I feel good being able to tell him that if he ever wants to know who he looks like.
We were introduced to some of the Chung Yi workers, some social work students (who were very camera happy and you all know how much I adore having my picture taken - NOT), and Colby's State social worker. They were all very nice.
We were able to make a list of questions for his birthmom - some of which the social working staff was able to answer and some of which they will try to have his birthmom answer. I didn't know that we'd have this opportunity and so I was a little flummoxed. Sally helped us come up with some questions, though, and I know we'll be glad to have the answers if they can get them.
We went over his daily routine and learned that he doesn't go to bed until 10pm but then sleeps until 10am! WOW. That will be changing as soon as he's settled and ready for it! He's a good eater, and a laid back baby who only cries if he is sick, tired, or hungry. Of course they said that about Kailin as well and we know that girls got a set of lungs she's not afraid to use!! Let's see... he is crawling and took some unassisted steps recently, and has 10 teeth! He had a cold/flu infection a few weeks ago, but isn't taking any more medicine. He doesn't like loud noises, but does like toys that make noise. Likes to eat - that seemed to be a big point.
Just after we ripped into some rice crackers we were offered (which were mighty tasty!), the announcement came that he was here! (about 11:20)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
AHHH. On the edge of my seat here. ;)
Hi Sarah,
This is Jennifer, Jeri's friend. I've been reading your blog and am so anxious to see pictures of Colby ! And to keep reading about your adventure !
Jennifer Romack
what the heck kind of ending was that??? :) Are you trying to kill everyone here??
Post a Comment