Monday, March 31, 2008

Finally found it!

Please bear with me until I can get to the juicy details I know you all are craving....

Steve finally woke up with the alarm (I'd forgotten to turn it off) at 6:30. He jumped in the shower (I keep telling him that jumping in the shower is dangerous and he's going to fall one of these days....), and I packed a diaper bag for Colby. I noticed that again - with Kailin I had our diaper bag packed as soon as we landed in China (or close) and with Colby, I kind of nonchalantly threw some stuff I thought we might need in there and that was that. I didn't have any of the nerves I had with Kailin and was actually looking forward to walking to the bakery and searching out Starbucks.

After I was ready, we headed out (looking drizzly again - not us, but the weather) for Starbucks with the intent to stop at the bakery on the way back home. We turned down the road that Eric Echols had said was the right one and we walked a few blocks to find that we ended up at the same bakery we'd been at the day before - so clearly this was the wrong street AGAIN. We picked up some yummmmmmy breakfast and headed back on to the street. My philosophy this trip, and it's served me well, has been "one more block". Whenever we think we haven't found what we're looking for I compel us to go one more block. So far it's worked more times than not! We went one more block down the road and there was Starbucks. We'd been a block away the day before and just hadn't looked that direction!

Coffees in hand we strolled another block away from the hotel and turned into a residential area. On the end of that block we found a little market section with tons of beautiful fruit. I think we're going to head back over there today and get some fruit to bring back to the room. Yes, I know what they say about eating fruit in foreign countries, but we wash it really well and we've been eating it all along and been just fine. I may live to regret those words, but at least I'll regret them with yummy fruit in my tummy. You can't believe the fruit here. It makes the stuff we get at home seem like cardboard!! This fruit has got some serious flavor!

Strolling back to the hotel was nice. I wasn't nervous yet and it was a nice little stroll. It started to rain a little, but not enough to get us wet.

Back at the hotel, bag packed, and nothing to do but eat our bakery and sip coffee - the nerves finally set in. Finally, it was 9:55 (66?) and time to meet Sally in the lobby. We gathered up our gifts, the diaper bag, and our cameras and headed out...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ok, fabulous, they have good fruit...WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF COLBY?????????????????????????????????
hahaha

Anonymous said...

I second that. Couldn't you have come back AFTER you tell us all the Colby information and then tell us about coffee and fruit???
You are going to put me into early labor!!!

Sarah k said...

YOU MADE MY DAY!!! I often wonder if I will have those bats in my stomach for number too that so graciously showed up for our trip to get Jer and you have somewhat dispelled that for me Sarah ... THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I am glad you are a little eased now. That is awesome! God is good!