Monday, March 31, 2008

Gifts.

So about this time I notice that there is a HUGE amount of "stuff" behind me. Two shopping bags full and a suitcase and a diaper bag and a smaller bag with formula and bottles, etc. I had no idea that he'd come with so much stuff! Colby's foster dad starting bringing bags over and pulling things out. First he pulled out a hat (baseball style) with a blessing they'd written on the inside of the bill. Sally wasn't able to translate it for us, but she said it is a blessing wishing him well. Next it was the index pages and negatives for every disposable camera we'd sent. They developed them so that they could keep a set of the pictures. I don't even know what to say. Before I could even recover from that, his foster dad pulled out a cd and we learned that on it is all the pictures they'd taken of him over the months, and although I haven't yet had a chance to look at it, I suspect there are lots of him before we even knew about him. This had me reeling, but they didn't stop there. Out comes a scrapbook that they put together for him - it's bound and it's clear that a LOT of hard work went into it. Again, before I could even wipe the tears from my eyes, we were presented with a small teddy bear. Colby's foster mom thought up the design and then had it made - for me. I have a lump in my throat even now as I type this. She'd already given me the greatest gift I could imagine - loving my son when I couldn't show him love myself - and now this. Oh but the gifts continued. We got a small laminated photo of him (that looks shockingly like a chubby infant Kailin) and I was about to put it away when his foster mom began animated comments to Sally, who started to cry. I knew that whatever it was, I was done for. Sally asked me to flip over the photo, and with her voice cracking, told me that his foster mom stamped the edge of the photo with half of his chop and that when he returns to Taiwan to visit, she will give him the other half. Tears welled in my eyes as my heart overflowed with the emotion of knowing how much Colby had been loved and will continue to be loved. We got the photos taken at the hospital when he was born. There were more gifts. They bought him a beautiful jade pendant in which is inscribed the characters for "much good fortune". They hoped we would keep it for him - of course we promised that we would. Then there was two cans of formula (which his foster mom told us was the best brand in Taiwan), two big bags of diapers, and a whole diaper bag full of clothes. We also got back the toys we'd sent him and the photo album as well. I'm sure I'm missing something - the sheer volume of things we received is hard to comprehend.

Colby's foster parents were surprised that he came to us so willingly, as he is not fond of going with strangers. But then, they said (causing more tears to flow), of course we aren't strangers at all - we are his family. (and now I'm crying like a fool again typing this)


The greatest gift they've given us, though, didn't come in a bag or a box or with any writing. To say that I am touched to know how much they loved our son does not begin to explain my feelings and emotions. I couldn't put them into words if I tried. I will forever feel a connection to this family half way around the world and know that our updates, however frequent they are, could never begin to repay them for opening their hearts and their home to our baby.


All too soon it was time to say goodbye. Hearing the animated and lively conversation the whole time I was absorbing my new son gave me heart that his foster parents realize that in their time of sorrow we have joy and that they are joyful for us. In the lobby, we posed for pictures with Colby's foster family, his social workers, and the Chung Yi staff. Then his foster parents held him one more time and before we knew it they were saying "Zai jian" (goodbye for now) and were gone. We loaded into a cab (and loaded is certainly the right word there! we had some BAGGAGE) and headed back to the hotel.


More later, I promise, but my boys are up and it's time to call home and let some grandparents know that we're okay.

11 comments:

Jeri said...

Ok, you're right, I in a puddle of tears.... I can't begin to imagine what to expect now when I pick up the boys.

Rachel d said...

Wow. I was tearing up while reading this... good thing I'm leaving work now or my coworkers will start to wonder why I keep sniffling!

I am so glad that Colby has been so well cared for and loved-- my faith in humanity is restored for the day knowing there are such wonderful people out there...

Unknown said...

wow sarah, it's all I can say.
That is so amazing!

Sharada & Richard Kettle said...

So a box of kleenex later and I think I can see what I am typing!

What an amazing memory to have from the photos to the special moments of bonding together as a giant family for Colby. It was all I hoped for for you and Steve and Colby. I have no other words to describe it!

You guys truly are blessed and we couldn't be happier for you. We have checking this darn site all day waiting for news-obsessive, no, not at all!!! LOL!

And mom was right, Colby looks like a puddle of boy goo-just a pudge of love. Completely adorable and squeezable!

We hope the rest of trip goes smoothly with your new addition and we look for more posts!! And now you have us daydreaming about our day in Viet Nam!!

Anonymous said...

what an amazingly wonderful story. He started his little life with so much love, and the good news is that he has a bunch more love waiting for him here! Extra kisses!!

Carrie said...

You and your family have been truly blessed. Talk about the fingerprints of God!!

Grace's Loyal Subjects said...

Congratulations!!!! I started crying after reading this!!!! We are so happy for you!!

Katie Lemm said...

More tears here! What an amazing day and what a story for him to hear someday. I have also been obsessively refreshing today--glad I'm not the only one! Katie is right. "from love to love..." just like that Oakridge Boys song we were talking about. What a blessing! The kids were excited to see and are already talking about going to Colby's baptism. You are in my thoughts and I eagerly await more updates! Hugs to all of you!!

Jodi said...

More tears and more smiles over here. Man does he look like a big kid in Steve's arms!

Sarah k said...

So sweet!!!!!!! Congratulations! He is such a cutie. I am glad things are going ok and that the meeting went better than ours did with Jer..lol.
Now go and enjoy that bundle of love.

Lori said...

HUGE tears!! What a blessing for all of you and how loved Colby was (like there was any other choice ;) )!! I can't wait to see all the pics!!
Lori