Tuesday, May 27, 2008

State of the kitchen....

I feel like I should give a "State of the Kitchen" address sometimes. I mean seriously....my life feels like it revolves around the welfare of my kitchen.

For instance, Friday's address would have sounded like this..."Well, we've been tuned in on the environmental needs of the kitchen and as a result the countertops are clean, the sink is sparkling again, and we are in a state of general organization. In whole, I think we can be very comfortable with the state of the kitchen and move forward into the weekend."

This morning, however, would have started more like "With a heavy heart I report that the kitchen is in a state of utter disarray. The countertops have been declared a federal disaster area and are under quarantine pending a major reclamation project scheduled in the next hour. The sink is experiencing the aftermath of a grape jelly spill and will need our full attention as soon as we are able to offer it. We would like to offer you hope in this hour of darkness, so we are happy to report that the food particle problem that was plaguing the floor has already been eradicated as a first step in our reclamation plan."

And who decided that some kitchens should have two ovens? A great plan, if you ask me, but shouldn't our first focus be on equipping kitchens with multiple dishwashers instead? I mean really...I literally just emptied our dishwasher and now it's nearly full again. It's not like we stacked all of yesterday's dishes on the counter or anything. I'm just talking about HALF of the dinner dishes (and pots and pans) and this morning's dishes. That's it. We don't have a particularly small dishwasher or anything - so clearly there's a need.

I'm happy to report that I have indeed reclaimed the kitchen and am feeling better about life in general. I won't even go into what the living room looks like. It's not a pretty picture!

No comments: