Monday, July 21, 2008

Peachy peachy goodness!

Well those peaches I bought have been nearly beyond description. They are simply the juiciest, sweetest, most tender peaches I've EVER had. EVER. Hands down. No contest. They're so good that you want to start saying things like "Dad burnit" and "Dad gummit" and "durn it all". Ya'll would love these peaches! Seriously, I can't say enough. One bite and the juice starts running down your arm and you are transported to the south in a house with slamming screen door and barbecue going in the back yard. It's - as I said, somewhat indescribable, but it's amazing!!
My mom decided to take HALF of the peaches. HALF. Half of my peachy, peachy goodness gone. Luckily, I've found that the truck will be back in our area next week and I'm planning on another purchase!
I made a Paula Deen peach cobbler on Thursday and it was really really good. Then we ate some plain peaches on Friday and Saturday. Yesterday we had a yummy four fruit salad for lunch with bananas, grapes, peaches, and plums. I don't have to tell anyone who knows us what my kids ate first! Kailin never got to her sandwich between eating a huge bowl of fruit and a helping of cucumber salad. Oh well - there are far worse things in the world than having your kids fill up on fruits and veggies! When I was at my mom's on Friday, I asked her if she had my Grandma Alley's peach cobbler recipe. We searched and she didn't. Yesterday the phone rang and she said she'd taken Grandma some of the peaches and asked her for the recipe. Grandma said she'd look, but wasn't sure she could find it. Wouldn't you know it was the first recipe she laid her hands on?! So I got the coveted peach cobbler recipe and wasted no time! I made it last night. It's distinctly different than the Paula recipe - a much flakier, pie like crust whereas Paula's was a lot cakier. Steve and I decided that we like them both (and if I do say so myself, mine turned out just like Grandma's used to and it was a culinary step back in time for me), so I'll keep both for future use.
I fear that the peaches are fast away fading, so today during nap I'll blanch the rest of them and slice them up to get out later this year when I'm dying for a sweet peach and there are none to be found.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Must be Georgia peaches :) Sounds like you start talking like a true Southern Belle when you eat them. HA! Have a great week!