On Wednesday, I read in our local "junk paper" that there would be a fruit company in the area on Thursday selling Georgia peaches. The deal was 1/2 bushel of peaches (~25lbs) for $33. Sounded good to me! Of course I was a little wary of traveling fruit companies I'd never heard of, but I looked them up online and things looked legit. I figured worst case scenario I'd show up and it would look a little shady and I'd leave without the peaches. My mom said that she'd take some of the peaches if I got them - so I wasn't quite in for a penny in for a pound anyway. Ha ha.
I figured if I was headed to Saukville, I'd run on over to Grafton and look for a birthday gift for our friend Ellie (who turned 8 on Thursday) at Banner Crafts. I loaded the kids up and we headed to Banner. When we pulled into the parking lot there was a little farmer's market set up! What a nice surprise! I bought some cucumbers and some "pickles" (small cucumbers that you don't even have to peel to eat).
Banner has a little of everything and Kailin was truly enjoying looking at everything. We didn't find what we were looking for, but we did have a grand time poking around (and Colby enjoyed causing me to come up with creative ways to keep him out of arms reach of all the shelves!!).
We headed over to get the peaches. There was a small line, and I unloaded the kids and joined it. The peach sellers were an older man and his wife. They were quite friendly (of course that's no indicator of the quality of the peaches!) and were giving tips about how best to handle the peaches. They both remarked that I had beautiful children (and I heartily agree!) - so they've got to be good people, right? Anyway, we loaded up the peaches and headed for home.
The kids were hungry, so I gave them each a pickle. Kailin claimed she couldn't bite hers, so I took some of the skin off and she ate half before she said she was done. Colby laid right into his with a vengeance. He ate about 2/3 of it when he discovered that if you plunge your finger into the seedy part of the cucumber, you can make a nice little hole there. If you do it repeatedly at increasing speed, you will succeed in spewing seeds and cucumber juice all over yourself (much to your delight in case you were wondering). I had to laugh out loud at him back there gleefully reaming the center out of his cucumber. Kailin got the giggles and soon we were all laughing our way home (until 2/3 of us remembered that we were really hungry and fussed and wailed the rest of the way - any guesses which two it was?). I wish I'd had a camera and a safe way to take a picture of Colby's seedy little self in all his cucumber glory!
I made the kids some lunch and started unpacking peaches. More on them in a later post. Suffice it to say that it was money WELL spent!
The rest of Thursday was pretty uneventful. I can't say I'm too sorry about that!! Vacation week was pretty hard on me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment