Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I just love her!

Somewhat to our chagrin, we heard our door open this morning. This chagrined us on two levels. One, Kailin was up and it was only 5:45am. Secondly, and probably equally as important (in my eyes at least), she broke the juice rules.

We developed "the juice program" back in the days when she was routinely getting up and wailing in her room in the morning and/or opening and closing her door (and ours!) enough to wake her brother up. The rules are thus: stay in your room, keep the door closed, stay quiet, and get juice! (the exclamation is there because if asked, Kailin will indeed exclaim them, although more often than not her version goes like this "stay quiet and get juice and get juice and stay in your room and get juice and stay quiet...."

She did actually close our door again and go quietly back to her room and close her door. But she still broke the rules. I know some are thinking "geez, give the kid a break!" I'd love to. This is yes week, remember? But I know my daughter and I know that giving her juice after she breaks the rules for even ONE day will result in an immediate shift in the rules that will be very difficult to undo. Not giving her a break got even harder when I went to get her and she excitedly exclaimed, "I stay quiet!!!!!!" and I said, "You did - great job, but you also didn't stay in your room." She said she wanted juice. I said no. She said, "I get up, I go potty by myself. I don't flush toilet. It's loud and Daddy was still sleeping - I checked!" Seriously now people, resist THAT. Thankfully, the very level of reasoning that causes her to believe that a one day bending of the rules equals new rules also helps her to know deep down when she's broken them and she didn't ask again. I told her I was so proud of her for going potty on her own and gave her a giant hug. Then I went down the hall to tell Steve.

No comments: