Sunday, July 6, 2008

A bittersweet day...


I thought that yesterday was going to be a happy day where I'd report that we trucked off to the first farmer's market of the year and had a wonderful time (as always). We did truck off to the first farmer's market of the year, and we will be dining on fresh beets this week (which I'll need to remember the morning after or I'll be panicked in the bathroom once again). What were not doing yesterday morning, nor will we be doing on any Saturday soon, is enjoying our weekly treat at Goosey's Galley. While we waited patiently for the summer to come, Goosey's fell victim to the economic downturn. It was a sad day indeed. Each of the kids ended up with a monster cookie from the scratch bakery and Steve and I got two mini-pies. The pie flavors are noteworthy, I think, as I'd never had either before. Bumbleberry was a mix of blueberry, strawberry, raspberry, apple, and rhubarb and the other was mulberry-currant. YUM!!!!


By the time we got home, Colby was way past nap time so we put him down. I cut Steve's hair and then while he was in the shower I decided it was a fine day to let the kids play in our water table while I finished my garden tasks from the Fourth. I woke Colby up at 11 since I was afraid that he'd refuse an afternoon nap if I let him sleep any longer. He was very displeased at having been woken, but once he was dressed in his swimsuit, hat, crocs, and donned his duck whistle things started looking up. This was Colby's first experience with the water table since I usually let the older kids play with it while the younger ones nap in the morning. To say that he delighted in it would be an understatement. He squealed and splashed and had quite a time. After some initial squabbling about splashing and space, the kids calmed down.





While I was digging I found a small angle worm. I called Kailin over to look at it. She'd been watering my flowers for me with her little bumblebee watering can. She looked at the worm and said, "Awwww.....he is so cute!! Can I water him?" I told her she could not water him as it would hurt him. About 3 seconds later she exclaimed "Wook! I found 'nother one!" I looked and it was a potato bug. I told her so and she said, "Can I water him?" I told her she could. I'm not sure that I know what potato bugs do in life, but there is no love lost between the potato bug and me. I chuckled at her desire to water the world.
It turned into one of those times, as I sat on my garden stool with the sun filling my body with warm rays, that I looked over at my kids splashing in the water, hooting and hollering together, having the time of their lives that I wondered how they could ever frustrate me to tears or make me question my sanity....

And then it was after nap time and they were both cranky as all get out and Steve and I were looking at the clock wondering if it was time for bed yet (us or them - wouldn't have mattered to us!) and I remembered all about how they could ever frustrate me to the point of saying "I don't want to hear another kid voice today!!!! (to myself - not to them!)" ha ha ha. Soon enough they were back to treating each other well and enjoying a fun little racetrack toy that I hauled out of the basement (I was down looking for the dishwasher manual and found a stash of toys Colby got for Christmas that we haven't brought out yet.).
The other high point of the day is that MY man (as opposed to "the" man) fixed our dishwasher!! He doesn't charge $70 to walk through the door, either! Hooray!! I'm thrilled to have it back in working order again, although we have decided that we need to spend the money to get a water softener as we believe that hard water gunk was the primary cause of the problem.

I was just thinking that I should post an update pic of Colby's toe (since I'm going to print this blog into a book format to save as my journal later on) since it was turning ever blacker. I did snap this pic the other morning when it was at it's worst. The blood blister must've worked it's way to the surface because without any protest (leading me to hope it was painless!) from my little guy, it burst on Saturday night and now his toe looks very nearly normal. I'm hoping this means that he won't lose his nail as I'd feared and also that we'll all look somewhat normal for our family picture next Tuesday. What remains to be seen is if any of us will be smiling and whether or not I can find coordinating clothing options for all four of us!

No comments: