This is not a proud post. This is an honest post and a post that you (and I - someday, if not this one) will think is funny.
I was CRAVING chocolate today. CRAVING it to the core of my being. We have no "desirable" chocolate in the house. So I did what any girl would do. (okay, probably not any girl - probably not anyone other than me....) I decide to make a half batch of brownies (so half of an 8x8 pan) and bake half for Steve for later (or let's face it - potentially for me if the batter doesn't tame the craving beasts) and then just eat the rest of the batter (which I love far more than I should).
Why turn the oven on for just 1/4 of a batch of brownies? I'll throw the batter in a ramekin (who doesn't love a ramekin?) and chuck it in the microwave and then we're off to the races. So I do that. And I take my brownie batter and go sit down and watch my taped "The Next Food Network Star" while the microwave is humming. We have a small, very old, notoriously WEAK microwave.
It's a beautiful summer afternoon and I have the windows open. The birds are singing. The scent of freshly cut grass is wafting on the breeze. And then...what's that now? Another scent...hmmm....maybe I should check on the brownie. I walk into the kitchen and am greeted by a haze of smoke. A few more steps and I can now see that smoke is BILLOWING out of the microwave. I hit the stop button and then foolishly open the microwave. I thought I'd seen billowing, but wow. This was acrid, stifling, nasty (makes rotting chicken smell great) smoke! Now not only am I worried about the smoking ramekin on the microwave carousel, I'm freaked that the smoke alarms are going to go off (a distinct possibility and a disastrous one since then the alarm will sound in EVERY BEDROOM) and wake up the kids who MUCH need their naps. Thankfully, the open windows saved me and removing the smoking ramekin to the stove with the hood fan on high did the trick. Good heavens!!! Lesson learned! I eventually needed to get the charred contents of the ramekin out of the house entirely because they continued to stink long after they stopped actively smoking.
Okay, now that you've all had a chuckle at my expense, I'm going to change my shirt - it reeks of burnt up brownies. Yuck. I don't know what success smells like - but I sure hope it's not like this!! Needless to say - I don't need to worry about the temptation to eat the other half of the half batch of brownies!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I love it....sounds like one of my kitchen mishaps! It's a good thing you don't live in the south....you would have never have had an open window in mid July! :)
HA! Reminds me of the old stove at our parents' house... on which it was far too easy to forget to turn the dial from "preheat" to "bake". From much accidental experimentation-- brownies baked on preheat- not bad. Pizza baked on preheat-- not good!!
Post a Comment