Kailin's book of choice for naps and bedtime for the last six days or so has been "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". Usually I read it. Tonight she announced that she wanted to read it. I love when she reads. It tells me which parts of the story she enjoys the most and it usually makes me laugh really hard (inside....).
The real (abridged) version is this:
"I know an old lady who swallowed a fly. I don't know why she swallowed a fly. Perhaps she'll die. I know an old lady who swallowed a spider...that wriggled and jiggled and tickled inside her.... yadda yadda yadda..."
Tonight's rendition went something like this:
"I know a lady......who's gonna eat a fly? Wriggly, jiggly...tickled!! She's gonna eat a bird....who's gonna eat a fly? Sufffff.....nnnnnnffffff Tickle tickle tickle!!!! Who's gonna eat a fly...how absurd (that one was supposed to be back with the bird...)....wriggly jiggled tickle! Now she's gonna eat a cow! Tickly jiggled....she's full of course!" It was far more dear than typing it out could ever be. I loved every minute.
Meanwhile... Colby was delightedly tucking himself into and out of Kailin's bed. He'd lay down and pull the sheets up to his chin and then giggle hysterically. He looked so little in her bed and it was just beyond adorable.
Today was one of those days where I was the mom I aspire to be - all day long. Most days I'm the mom I want to be some of the day and some days I'm the mom I want to be none of the day. Today I parented exactly the way I wanted to parent. I wouldn't change a thing (which is not at all to say that I parented perfectly.) I parented the best I know how and I was patient and loving and kind. I was creative and we played games and played outside. We took a long walk after the boys went home. It was as good a day as it gets and I'm documenting it so that on a day when I don't parent the way I want to. On a day when I wonder how on earth I'll ever get through and what my husband must be thinking of my antics - I want to remember THIS day. I want to come back and remember how happy it was and how good I feel at the end of it. I want it to lift me up and give me strength and help me to be a better mom. Thank God for my wonderful kids and for giving me the chance to be their wonderful mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm so glad that you had a day in which you got to see the wonderful mother I know you are more often than not.
That is wonderful!! It is always so refreshing to have one of those kind of days! :)
Too cute! I love it!!!
Post a Comment