Okay, so I am using the word "tomorrow" loosely these days (other than if I make a promise to my kids - I always keep my promises - learned that from my mom and I think it served her well...). Today is now tomorrow and yesterday was neither today nor tomorrow..... how's that for confusing?
Kailin is killing me at swimming these days. On Monday she let me dunk her all the way under twice! ("Let me" should be read to mean "did not protest openly when I announced that I was going to do it after she'd previously indicated that she would rather not do so...") She survived just fine and actually shed no tears (to my shock and amazement). She also started paddling around on a couple of pool noodles.
Wednesday made Monday look like a paddle in the kiddie pool. Granted I am a way biased, overly proud mama, but man that girl amazes me. First she made me laugh, though. As we were cruising around the pool she suddenly exclaimed, "MOM! This....is.... AWSSSOME!!" It took me by surprise and I giggled out loud and then she giggled out loud and then I felt guilty for having wanted to skip swimming because I was worn out and it was supposed to storm.
Next she requested some pool noodles. I obliged in the colors of her choice. She got going doing her little doggie paddle around the pool and then.....she told me to let go!!! I was in shock! I'm pretty much in shock anytime she does anything daring. She's just not normally the daring type. And then suddenly she is. Monday I'd tried to let go a little and both times she pitched forward and got a face full of water - far far far from her favorite thing, so me letting go being her idea was nearly astounding. She kept sending me out further and further away from her (further than I was comfortable with - I was a little afraid that if she got out past arm's reach, she'd keel forward again and I wouldn't get there fast enough to stop her from going under. I had no fear that she'd drown or anything. I just worry that given her personality, one bad experience will sour her on the whole deal. I worry too much, I know.). She agreed to let me stay near her if I would let her try to paddle across the pool. She made it!! I talked to her teacher about potentially putting her in the next level coming up. Dakota is signed up in the mid August session and I think I may go ahead and sign her up (no moms in the pool for that one!).
Anyway, the teacher suggested that maybe we could let the kids jump in off the side of the pool (allowing them to fall in only to their comfort level). I didn't need to ask Kailin twice! I hoisted her out of the pool and set her on the edge. Suddenly, her eyes got wide and I thought "oh no, she's not going to want to do it....oh well.... I'll just bring her back in here..." Eyes open as wide as they'd go, she hissed, "Moooommmm......" and pointed to the steady drizzle of water coming from her suit. She presumed that, without her go ahead, her body had betrayed her and she was peeing right there at the edge of the pool!!! The nerve!!! I explained that it was just water draining out of her suit. She seemed relieved and then jumped (read that real fast....like the relief is just setting in with her and the understanding and amusement with me and then WHAMMO, she's jumping - head's up Mom - think quick - don't miss!!!!) The next 27 jumps were preceded by the instruction to STAY THERE UNTIL I TELL YOU IT'S OKAY!! Around jump 20, I told her that I was going to let her go all the way under. She said okay. In retrospect, I don't think she was very clear about what exactly was going to happen. She went down and then I yanked her up and she sputtered and thought about crying and declared that she didn't like it, but bless her soul she climbed right back up on the edge of the pool and jumped in again (but requested (read demanded) that I not let her go under again).
I think this has been a long enough stream of syrupy pride to send anyone into a sugar coma. We had a fun Fourth of July, so I'll post about that tomorrow. (relatively speaking anyway)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Yeah for Kailin!!
Post a Comment