Sunday, July 13, 2008

Corporate Sugardaddies

We used to have the GMO (Greater Milwaukee Open) and County Stadium here. Now we have the US Cellular Open and Miller Park. Last night at the zoo, I noticed that Lucy the African Elephant is now brought to me by Saturn - on a placard. Seriously? REALLY? We need a corporate sponsor for Lucy the elephant now too? I know that the Zoo is a not for profit and that they need money just like anyone else. But I guess I question where we're going in the world when Saturn needs us ALL - ALL OF US - without a doubt, not just those who read the pamphlets about who sponsors the zoo, to know that THEY ALONE bring Lucy the African Elephant to me and all other zoo visitors. Truthfully, if I was wondering about which companies are generous enough to donate to the zoo, I WOULD read the pamphlet. If I were inclined to give my allegiance to businesses who sponsor the zoo, then I would give it to those who DON'T feel a need to proclaim their "benevolence" (if you can even call it that) on placards everywhere. It's actually more likely that I WON'T patronize Saturn now since I'm annoyed at their need to announce it to the world. And I know someone's saying "oh, but maybe the zoo wanted to do it in appreciation..." and my response would be that Saturn could've said no. I know, I'm hard core.

It did give me an idea though.... maybe I could get a corporate sponsor. Unfortunately, I'd be looking for one who would be willing to allow me to wait until someone said, "Gee, that's a great purse/outfit/necklace/pair of shoes/laptop/Thunderbird!" to respond, "oh, thanks! I'm brought to you and sponsored by....." Anyone want to offer to be my sponsor? I didn't think so....

1 comment:

Sharada & Richard Kettle said...

Hey, we here at Chrysler Corp might be interested in sponsoring you! Where exactly did you want the tattoo? We were thinking the forehead region. For an extra bonus we could do a hood ornament.

Sincerely,

Lee Iacoca