Sunday, August 17, 2008

Perfect, perfect today...

I was blanching, slicing, sugaring, and freezing the very last of the second batch of the peachy, peachy goodness the other day. I was thinking about how the fruit never tastes the same when you get it out of the freezer. You have to put sugar on it (even if it's just a little bit) before freezing it unless you can it (which involves cooking it) or use dry ice (which involves a lot more money than I'm willing to spend at the moment). That changes the flavor and no matter how you preserve it, the texture is never quite the same. At first thinking about it made me a little sad - that it will be a whole year before I have peaches exactly this good again.
And then I realized that there was a greater lesson for me to learn. My peaches and strawberries were like days. They're perfect TODAY. Just as they are. No matter how good I make my memories, they can never make tomorrow (or next week or ten years from now) be just like today. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the peaches made me decide to put greater focus on enjoying each of life's moments in the here and now. Maybe be a little more care free with my kids and maybe spend less of the day worrying about bills or meal planning or plans for tomorrow. Whether or not I'll be able to implement my plans has yet to be seen, but I figure that thinking about it has got to be the first step.

2 comments:

Traveling Mercies said...

wow. that is so good to hear. thanks for sharing your important insight!

heidi

Nicole said...

How sweet is that!! I love the new picture of Colby! Also, the sticker idea you mailed is too cute. I am hoping to do that. I think Emma would love it too.