1. I love that it's warm enough now for me to take the dogs out in the morning in my pajamas and slippers without donning a hat, mittens, ear muffs, a scarf, boots, and an enormous winter coat (which goes hand in hand with loving that the overall chance of them having an accident while I'm getting dressed to take them out is now mostly eliminated!)
2. I love that whether through nature or nurture (I'd love to think nurture, but as we've only been nurturing Colby for a little less than 3 weeks...it's probably nature....pooey!), my kids will eat whatever is put in front of them. (yeah, the picture is chocolate crackers which any kid will eat - but I thought you'd enjoy a picture of my messy little guy in his messy glory) I had a coupon for a free dish at Noodles and Co. and we used it last night. I stood there and tried to decide what to order for my kids and I couldn't bring myself to pay $3.95 for plain buttered noodles that I could make just as easily at home for less than $3.95. I also couldn't bring myself to do just that because I knew I had a hungry, cranky boy at home (Colby, not Steve) who would probably melt down into a puddle of goo if he had to wait even 10 more minutes for supper. (and I do realize that I could have CALLED home and had Steve make the kids noodles with butter, but we eat out so rarely that I wanted to treat them as well....) Then I realized that I didn't NEED to order the plain buttered noodles or mac 'n cheese. My kids love flavor. I ordered them pesto cavatappi. Not perhaps the most adventurous, but see comment above about piles of goo - I wanted a surefire home run. I wasn't wrong. Both kids gobbled it down (garlic and pesto and mushrooms and all) with gusto - and their side of carrots and peas as well. For lunch they snarfed down broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts and pea pods. So many of my friends, despite their best efforts otherwise (chalk another one up for nature - drat!), fight with their kids over every meal. It makes my life so much easier not to have to do that.
3. I love that my husband is such a fantastic dad without even trying. Yesterday he was rolling on the floor, playing with the kids and no one had to ask him to do that. He was literally on his way down to the basement to do some work when Kailin grabbed his hand and said with more excitement in her voice than I could possibly convey here, "YOU want to PAY wif ME????" I said, "I'll do it honey, you were headed downstairs..." and he said, "Oh, the basement will be there later." I love that man! I know you're probably thinking "well, duh..." but some dads aren't like that and I think my kids (and I) are blessed that they have one who is.
4. I love that my daughter loves to create pictures and other projects for specific people (none of whom are usually me...to my dismay). She decides in advance who the picture will be for and then carries out coloring or creating with that person in mind. It's not uncommon to be asked, "Does so and so like green?" so that she can make appropriate color choices. She thinks of others often, and I think she will grow to be a very loving, giving person. Yesterday while Colby napped, she was busy creating beautiful pictures for her dad and for my mom (Nai Nai). She's also really developing her imagination and wouldn't you know - she makes the BEST coffee I've ever tasted? I love to see her little mind work and I'm trying really hard in these challenging days as she adjusts to a brother and having to share her parents and toys 24/7 to remember how much I like who she truly is and how much I love that she's got such a personality, even if it's sometimes hard to like her current behaviors. I won't promise that I won't be revisiting this list at some point - as I notice things that I love and don't want to forget, but I think I'll close for now before I bore anyone into a coma and before I have to think too hard about what else I love - that defeats the purpose of the list. Also, my daughter, whose pajama pants have fallen down again to reveal her tiny little nudie, has a "big giant swamwich" for me to eat, and it looks tasty - blankets and pillows and all! I hope I'll get some coffee to go with it!! (since I wrote that last sentence, she has given up on the too big pajama pants and has shed those and her socks, but donned her crocs - it's quite a vision, I assure you!!!)

1 comment:
I get ya there. I hate paying more than I have too. But convenience has it's perks! lol.
Post a Comment