So I hadn't blogged about this because I didn't want to worry anyone, but two days before we left for Taiwan, our agency called to tell us that AIT was requesting additional paperwork - a letter from our local USCIS stating that we'd met the State of WI requirements to adopt. Well that presented several problems. One - in order to write a letter stating that we'd met the state reqs, the state required us to get an adoption bond ($100). They also required a copy of our homestudy (which luckily our homestudy agency was happy to provide - and update to reference new background checks and approval for a child up to 2 years (just in case immigration or AIT noticed that our old one said approved for a child up to 12 mos at referral (which Colby was) and decided to be picky about him being 14 mos at adoption) and copies of our adoption decrees here in Taiwan (which our placing agency did their best to get as quickly as possible). This stuff wouldn't be too much of a problem to get, but with less than 48 hours to do it all - impossible. So we actually left home not knowing if we'd be catching our flight tomorrow night or stuck here for....well, we didn't know how long. The problem was that WI's protocol for these situations is that THEY issue the letter. USCIS is not involved. AIT, on the other hand, was insistent that the letter come from USCIS. That's what would've taken a year and a day and that's what we saw as the major obstacle. Well.... when we went to AIT on Thursday, they never even mentioned the letter. I figured we were in the clear (we know that they did have a faxed copy of the letter from the state since the state confirmed having sent it, but AIT never made mention of it at all), but I wasn't going to breathe easy until we picked up his actual visa and passport today.
Well, they made me work for it. Steve decided to stay home with Colby while I went out and about today. I went to the bus stop in plenty of time. No bus. No bus.....no bus....still no bus.... getting a little nervous... no bus.....thinking I might have to take a taxi.... FINALLY a bus! I've never waited that long (here) for one. Bus to the MRT no problem. On the MRT no problem. Show the guards at AIT my appointment letter and passport, no problem. Check the camera in and proceed to second guard. She directs me to the second floor. I tell her that I really think I'm supposed to be on the 3rd floor. She insists. I comply. I wait in line. It's on the third floor. Up to the third floor. Check in at window 8. "Oh, we're still working that. Have a seat and we will call you." Hmmmm..... okay. Wait a few minutes. There are only two other people in the office with me. One arguing with an Asian man behind window #7 and one having a very pleasant exchange with an African-American man behind window #6. Window #7 concerns me. The man usually in charge of visas for adopted kids is Asian and was out of the office the other day when we were in (hence our luck with the letter - I think)(and yes I know that most of the employees working at AIT are in fact Asian and it would stand to reason that a good proportion of them are male. But bear with my panic stricken, neurotic mind here). The man behind window #6 finishes with his client and then says to me via microphone, "ma'am, can we help you? You are the only person left here and I don't see any more files." I explain my business and he says, "oh yes, that's being worked on...we'll be right with you." I say okay and he zips closed the blinds on his window leaving just.... window #7. That man is still arguing with the Asian woman. It's heated, although I have no idea what they're arguing about. I'm already cycling through the things I plan to say if the man behind window #7 tells me that we will not be receiving Colby's visa today. I will tell him that they should have the letter from the state already, that the protocol for WI is that the letter is issued from the state and not by USCIS, that they had our appointment on the books for 5 weeks and chose to give us 2 days notice that we need this letter, and that they should have told me this would be a problem on Thursday as we would've had an additional 3 business days to work on it - so he should do us the courtesy of making an exception to his protocol since our 171-H indicates that the US Gov't is convinced we have met all necessary reqs to adopt. I'm gathering my courage and steeling myself for confrontation as the Asian woman finally storms off when to my delight the man behind window #7 closes his blinds and the woman behind window #8 calls me over to receive Colby's visa and passport and our packet for immigration. Hooray!!!! I know that was a very long winded story, but it's one I want to remember, and it's also good just to let all of that out!
After I left AIT, it was my intention to head to the clothing market and then the fabric market. As I walked toward the MRT station, I realized how much I will miss this place. -How much I have enjoyed this pedestrian lifestyle, how wonderful the people have been, how safe I felt to just head out on my own today, and how I've never wished so badly to know the language in a place I've visited. I do think this is the one place I've gone where they've spoken the least English - but even if most people knew English, I think this place would still have me wishing I could speak more Mandarin than just rudimentary colors, jungle and farm animals, and signs of the zodiac with a few pleasantries mixed in. Perhaps that'll be a goal for the next time we come.
I boarded the MRT and got off on the appropriate stop. I asked at the information booth and learned that it wouldn't be far. The desk was right - it wasn't far and I knew it when I saw it. Bags and bags of children's clothes spread out across tons and tons of storefronts. I did actually feel a little intimidated and there are no pictures as a result. I kind of looked on while people dug through the bags and then I finally saw a cute little tank top and shorts I thought would be just perfect for Kailin. I tried to ask how much they were, but the shop owner would only point to a sign that said, "no sale" (which I'd taken to mean that you couldn't bargain). They refused to sell them to me. I'm still not sure why. I thought maybe you had to buy by the bag full, but I saw other women buying just a couple pieces. I finally just handed them the clothes and left feeling a little stupid. It wasn't what I was really there for anyway. I wandered some, but mostly found adult sized clothes. I saw a cute purse I really liked for $3 and bought it. I finally saw a shop that had traditional clothes - and moreover had some kids clothes in the window. I went in and the shop attendant spoke English. I figured I had it made. Not so fast. They only had WINTER traditional clothes and since Colby will be baptized in June - that won't work. I asked if she knew of any other shops and she sent me down the alley to two more.
I walked into the first one and inquired. The older man and woman began conversing animatedly and then their son (I'd guess early twenties) said, "they said they only have a jacket, will that work?" I said that unfortunately, it would not and then his dad leaped up and began digging through giant bags of clothes. He came up with a red dress for Kailin in size 4 (the size she has now) or one several sizes too large. The red dress does look larger than her China 4, and it was beautiful, so I bought it. They didn't have much for Colby, but did have a little silk vest and shorts set, and with no other options in sight - I bought that too. The son went to Winona State in MN, it turns out, so it's a small world indeed!! They were so accommodating and wanted to badly to help that I was glad to be able to make a purchase there. Across the alley I found the other dealer in traditional clothes and they had stuff for boys and girls. I bought Colby two traditional outfits - one in maroon and blue for his baptism and one in red and navy (my first choice for the baptism, but they didn't have one small enough) for later. Kailin got another dress (size 6 this time) in pink for later. All told, I spent more than I wanted to, but the clothes are of much finer quality than the ones we got in China, and I'd rather spend the money and have them then wait to see if we can find some at the fabric market and come up short. A very kind woman helped translate for me in the shop and as we chatted, I learned that her mother-in-law lives in Ohio! She was quite surprised that we'd come to Taiwan to adopt a Chinese baby. I had to try hard not to laugh at the thought of coming to Taiwan to adopt a Caucasian baby. ha ha. She was so nice to me - as were the shopkeepers. It was hotter than a pistol in there, though - everywhere in the market actually, and as soon as I walked out of the shop I realized that I had a splitting headache. I was pretty much dripping with sweat and hadn't eaten in about 6 hours and was probably also dehydrated. Not a fantastic combo.
I hiked back to the MRT station with no problem (other than feeling nauseated from the headache and sweating like a hog) and thought that I'd try the fabric market anyway, but as soon as I'd paid my fare and boarded the train, I knew I needed to head for home. The problem is that the fare is calculated based on your origin and destination points and I had no idea if I'd gotten the right fare for my "home stop" or not. Plan B. I got off on my original intended stop and looked for something to eat and drink. My greater conscience told me not to go local for this meal, so I was ecstatic to see a McDonald's on the horizon. Air conditioned and just what the Dr. ordered. Back to the MRT and headed for home. I noticed a lot of police presence on the MRT today, so I'm not sure if it was coincidence or if there was some kind of threat or something. I felt safe anyway!
Back at the room I laid down for a bit and between cooling off and drinking some more liquids, my headache left pretty quickly. I learned that Steve was feeling some better and that Colby skipped his morning nap, but had a really decent afternoon one. We decided that dinner with Monika and her husband was out and I called them to let them know. Turns out they're dragging as well, so it all worked out.
We stayed in the room most of the rest of the afternoon, but ventured out this evening after we filled Colby up on rice crackers and cereal. We took a walk down the road trolling for something for me for dinner (Steve was feeling better, but not enough to have dinner). Nothing appealed to me, so we stopped at Dunkin Donuts and I tried a chocolate cake donut with corn sprinkles. Yes, I said corn. Yes, I'm sorry that I didn't have my camera!! It was actually really good. Who'd have thought??
Colby fell asleep in the carrier on the way home and then had a really hard time falling asleep in his bed. Poor guy. He's getting his eye teeth now in addition to the four molars. Ugh. He's a drooling fool! I feel bad for him. We got home to find that housekeeping had been in to clean our room. Ummm.....can you clean the inside of a goat's stomach? I had no idea they'd come in so late in the day or I'd have cleaned up some of Colby's toys - I'm sure they walked in and thought "how can we clean THIS?" but at least we have clean towels now!
No turban picture tonight either - the boys are asleep and I don't know where Steve packed the camera cord. Sorry to disappoint! This may very well be my last post from Taiwan - depending on how busy tomorrow gets. 8 or so is my normal blogging time and that's about the time we'll be leaving for the airport. We're going to try to hit the fabric and handicraft markets tomorrow and maybe Longshan Temple as well. We'll see how hot it is and how Steve is feeling when we awake. If I don't get to blog tomorrow, then I'll talk to you all when we're back on American soil.
For anyone who is planning to visit us this weekend - Kailin does have cricket school on Saturday morning, so we won't be home until 11 or so.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
TRAVEL SAFE! And hopefully smoothly.
Note to Colby: The trip will not be fun, but give your parents a break. Okay?
Count on us this weekend. We were thinking of waiting until Sunday afternoon if that is okay.
I'm so glad that the paperwork situation worked itself out. More answered prayers. And what a relief that Steve is feeling better. Have a safe trip home. Wish we could be there this weekend. :) We'll know the 22nd if Wisconsin trips are in our future.
I'm so proud of you venturing out on your own! We are all excited to get you home! Manj and I (and maybe Uncle Nick) will be coming up Thursday evening. I'll talk to you on Wednesday after you get home though!
Love you - safe travels!!
Hope your travels are fantastically uneventful. Booger and the Nut will be very happy to see everybody!
It's sad to see your Taiwan journey come to an end. We hope you are all feeling well and have time to hit those last stops.
Big sigh of relief about the paperwork. You managed to get some great points out in your thoughts if your had to deal with the "bad" guy. ;-) And kudos to you for traveling out on your own like that!!!
Have a safe trip and I will e-mail you sometime next week to catch up more!!!
yeah!! I am SO GLAD to hear it all went well today at AIT. I am super impressed that you did the bus and MRT on your own..and shopping! Wow!! I would be in Egypt by now if I had done that. We are home...long day of travel..cancelled flight in LA---oh me..but finally got in about 11 last night. It is sooooooo good to be home!! The kids did super today..a few sibling rivalries but pretty good. Will is speaking "Will-enese (half Will talk and half Chinese --his version) to Emma. Cracking me up. He said he is speaking like Emma. Be safe coming home.
It sounds like an interesting day to say the least!!! LOL. I was hoping for better news on the clothes front!
Post a Comment