Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The power of two...

I know I've commented before on the passage of time, but today the power of two struck me. Two weeks ago today we arrived home and the lives of my entire family changed irrevocably. Two weeks before that, we hadn't even left yet, had no idea what it meant to parent two children, had never seen Taiwan, and didn't truly know how blessed we'd be by adding Colby to our family. Two months ago we hadn't heard about our final decree yet and were still wondering and hoping about when we might travel to Taiwan, and two years ago, we didn't even have Kailin home yet and were eagerly anticipating our trip to China to bring her home. What a change two years has brought us!! What blessings we've received in those two years. It leaves me wondering how different our lives will be in two more years. Kailin will be in 4k and Colby will be the age that Kailin is now. Life will surely be different!



I'm sure the capacity of my heart has at least doubled since Colby came home. I love him just as much as I love Kailin and I love her, if it's possible, more than I did before we left. I've seen in her the ability to be sweet and tender and considerate of her brother in a capacity I thought was beyond a 2.5 year old (I've also seen her be creatively mean in a way that I thought was beyond a 2.5 year old - ie; slowly applying pressure to toy forks planted firmly on her brother's foot - it took him a lot longer to squeal than if she'd jabbed him). Her ability to trust us that this new member of our family is here to stay and not to question whether he should be here or when he's going back shows me that we are truly her parents in her mind as well as in ours. (Not that kids don't ever question their parents - it's hard to articulate what I'm trying to say here.)



The power of two does indeed amaze me.

1 comment:

Traveling Mercies said...

hi sarah!

it's been fun to read your blog and learn about colby (and see pictures!). we can't wait to meet him in person at church!

it is funny to think about how life changes from week to week, month to month, year to year...how we couldn't imagine what comes our way and how most often it's different and more amazing than we thought it would be. i'm so glad you all had a safe trip and that God has blessed you and your family with each other.

congratulations and may more blessings reveal themselves in the coming weeks, months and years!

pastor heidi