Does this ever happen to anyone else? It's the middle of the night. I'm semi-awake. I need to use the bathroom. I am reluctant to crawl out of my nice, warm bed. I close my eyes for a minute and immediately return to sleep whereupon I have a lovely dream about using the bathroom (someone once told me that if you dream about doing it, chance are that you ARE doing it - luckily, that has yet to be my experience!!!). I am roused again by the now slightly more imminent need to use the bathroom. In my middle of the night stupor, I repeat the cycle. This happens several times - always with increasing urgency for the task at hand. The dream is always quite lovely with the feeling of relief and then the reality is always filled with a bit of dismay and some dread - so WHY don't I just force myself out of bed the first time and avoid the whole thing?? Ha. A mystery of the world.
My other mystery is much less entertaining, but a mystery to me nonetheless. I fall asleep on my left side. Every night. Barring illness blocking my right nostril or some other malady making that uncomfortable, this is my protocol. There is no more comfortable position I can think of, it seems, than my left side. However, sometime in the night this all changes. I know that nearly everyone changes position in the night, but I have a mental change. Suddenly during the night, the best sleep position in the world (by far, hands down, without a doubt....) becomes either side, curled up with my legs bent - in somewhat of a tight little ball. I'm not cold. I'm not trying to return to the womb (I don't think....). It's just what feels best. The mystery is this - I can, if I wake in the night, fall asleep in this position, or I can rouse slightly and this is what I choose to fall back into dreamland, but I CANNOT fall asleep from the get-go in this position. WHY is that?
Ponder these mysteries today in your free time (ha ha ha - like anyone I know has free time) and let me know what you think. A 1000 word essay on each question ought to do the trick. Or in the words of one of my favorite movies of all time (A Christmas Story)... I'd like you to write.... A THEME. I really would not like you to write a theme or an essay (aren't they one in the same?). As much as I enjoy editing (just ask my sister), I have no time to properly grade your paper and would likely be slow to return your grade and I don't want any of you losing any sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment