Of course I spoke too soon about having had a great day. Steve went back to dog training tonight which left me to put both kids to bed. It shouldn't have been that big of a deal, but I was a little concerned since Colby's been going to bed before Kailin and we've also been sitting with him at bedtime until he falls asleep. That part turned out to be the least of my issues.
Steve left during the kids' dinner. They were having leftover pizza, carrots, and peas. (As an aside here, I thought we finally found something Colby won't eat. I shoved a pea in his mouth and he summarily reproduced it on his lips. Then he plucked it off with his chubby little fingers and instead of throwing it onto the high chair tray, examined it closely and back in it went. He snarfed down at least a kid sized portion of carrots and of peas - so hooray for another kid who will eat his veggies!!!) They were eating merrily until Steve left and apparently threw the switch on the way out the door. Ha. Kailin immediately announced that she was done and Colby was restless. He, of course, continued eating. Ha ha ha. It was downhill from there. When he was done, he was DONE. He needed bed. I needed him to be awake for another hour. We pushed it and did pjs...played a bit...but by 6:45 they both needed bed. Both were in jammies already so my plan was milk for both and then bed. Peanut's plan was to ask to go out. New plan was to let Colby cry while I took Peanut out. Peanut's new plan was to reveal the real reason he wanted to go out - he needed to puke. So, he puked in the front hall while I tried to keep my kids out of it. Then I made a mad dash for the paper towel to clean it up while Colby made a mad dash to play in it. GROSS. Kailin was entirely in the way and I was starting to lose my cool. I cleaned up and then ran Peanut out and returned to a mostly hysterical Colby who fortunately calmed down quickly upon my return. We did have a shining moment thrown in when Colby
tried to get his cup from the kitchen table and his sister ran over and grabbed it. I thought "here we go..." but she simply put it into his mouth and helped him tip it up. I was so thankful to have the camera sitting on the table! The shining moment faded when Colby tried to help himself and his sister thought otherwise.
tried to get his cup from the kitchen table and his sister ran over and grabbed it. I thought "here we go..." but she simply put it into his mouth and helped him tip it up. I was so thankful to have the camera sitting on the table! The shining moment faded when Colby tried to help himself and his sister thought otherwise. Got the kids upstairs and tell Kailin we're going to read sitting up tonight (to facilitate her brother getting his bottle). At this point, I'm frazzled and neither kid is getting teeth brushed and I'm really hoping that this is the worst this event will ever be (for whatever reason, the true reality of it isn't coming through....imagine two overtired, wailing children and one frazzled mama - maybe that paints a better picture). I get the book read, get the bottle given, and get up. Kailin is bed and asks for her chicken toy. I give it to her and she asks me to cut the tag off. Well, I have a very fussy toddler in my arms and tell her that we'll leave it on for tonight and cut it off first thing in the morning. Unacceptable. She's been obsessed lately with removing ALL tags from ALL stuffed toys. She begins wailing at the TOP of her lungs. It was just enough to push me over the edge and I snatched the chicken and tossed it (truly I tossed it) into the pile of stuffed animals at the end of her bed and said that she couldn't have it at all then. She ramped up the screaming. I tried to calm her down to no avail, so I told her I loved her and closed the door. NOT a shining mommy moment.
I went in and put Colby down with no problem and then thought that I'd check on Kailin, who was quiet and whom I figured had zonked out and was probably not covered up. She was awake. I went in and bent down to wipe away her tears and told her that I was so sorry that I lost my temper, but that she has to understand that sometimes I need to take care of Colby and can't give her everything she wants exactly when she wants it. I told her that I love her very much no matter what. She looked into my eyes and said, "Mommy, will you sweep wif me?" I told her that I couldn't, but that she needed to get some rest because she needed to help me take Colby to the doctor tomorrow. She said, "I don't want him cry, mama. He needs his sisser." I assured her that he did indeed. Then I came downstairs and commenced to feeling guilty as all heck for losing my temper with her. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day - for both of us.
I made you read all this, and now I'll give you the cutest picture of my kids from today.... who could resist these guys??I also wanted to say that Colby has made huge progress in his walking skills. When we first got him he was still doing what I refer affectionately to as "the orangutan shuffle" where little kids walk with their arms up and don't really lift their feet. Then this weekend he moved on to the "old guy" style. Lift your feet a little and sort of waddle. Today already he's walking more confidently, arms down, and can bend down and resume standing without falling over. How long before he's running all over???

1 comment:
Sarah,
BTDT with losing my cool with my children too-we all do it at some point, and it is usually when we are alone with them-right?
Well, I am sure life is better-and it is so good to see you all home together-why didn't you tell me about your blog before, you stinker??
Hugs
Chris
Post a Comment