Thursday, February 5, 2009

Shaking it up a little.

For the past 20 or so years I've had the same morning routine. Get up, use the bathroom, shower, get dressed, brush my teeth, put my contacts in and do something with my hair (the teeth and contacts might get swapped around, but the contacts definitely have to come before the hair or there are sorry sorry results). Recently I found that I lacked desire to brush my teeth. Surely not from a hygienic standpoint nor from any notion that it was okay not to do it. I just felt...well...like it was another time-suck in my rush to get out of the bathroom and get Kailin out of their bedroom before she woke Colby and/or get downstairs to check email and get coffee before the boys arrived and my day officially started. Obviously it is not acceptable or desirable not to brush one's teeth in the morning.

I decided to shake up the old routine. Teeth brushing now comes before my shower and you know - it's working great. It's interesting, though, that I'd been using the same routine for 20 years. It never even occurred to me that it had been that long until I changed it and then stopped to think about it. I wonder what else I've been doing for 20 years without realizing?

No comments: