Kailin kept asking me for "Pinther Pan" last week. A friend brought Peter Pan over once, but we don't own it, so although I convinced myself that's what she was asking for and kept telling her we didn't have it, she was insistent that we did. Back and forth we went. Round and round. We don't have it, "yes, we do!" she insisted.
It wasn't Peter Pan she wanted - it was the Pink Panther! She's still calling him Pinther Pan or sometimes Peter Panther. At any rate, I've been putting on some Boomerang for the kids now and again for fun. No educational value whatsoever in Tom and Jerry or Pinther Pan or the Smurfs, but they love them all and I love that they love them. They sit and giggle and point and it's music to my ears. So we watch. I didn't realize how violent Tom and Jerry are, though!! It's silly violence and there's no blood and no one dies and the kids don't seem to be engaging in violence toward each other as a result of watching it, but it did get me to thinking about the difference in cartoons these days vs. when we were kids. Really - what if Tyrone came running along and pushed Tasha out the upstairs window of her house? Or what if Dora and Boots lit some dynamite under Swiper and watched him ride off into the sunset in a cloud of sparks? It just wouldn't happen. I'm not saying that the changes are a bad thing. Just interesting myself in the lack of rivalries in today's offerings for kids. Everyone gets along - then again maybe that's not such a bad thing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hannah LOVES LOVES LOVES Tom and Jerry so much so that I bought a set of DVDs at Walmart. There is a huge, long disclaimer at the beginning about how these cartoons are a product of their time and that some of the things portrayed (not only violence, but racial sterotypes) are wrong today and were wrong then. It is amazing how much things have changed (mostly for the better).
Post a Comment