It's been a pretty funky December for weather here. In the two weeks leading up to Christmas, we had bitter cold, snow every other day, and close to the lake here, whiteouts and nasty ice at least twice. Not that snow every other day is immensely unusual this time of year, but it was the amounts we were getting - often upwards of 5". I haven't heard the totals recently (and much of it has now melted as temps were suddenly in the upper 40's yesterday and it RAINED all day - causing dense fog advisories for over 24 hours), but I know that they exceeded 30" for the month. Anyway, many of our pre-Christmas plans ended up getting canceled due to weather and although the time at home was nice as well, it was starting to really get me down.
Then they came out with the forecast for Christmas week and sure enough, every day that we had plans (including Christmas Eve), BAD WEATHER. I was just done with it. Sure it's not worth fretting over since nothing can be done about it, but truth be told, as much as I was excited to share the wonder of the season with Kailin this year and truly I was - I just had a really hard time getting into things this year. I think because we sort of missed our big ramp up weekend when we haul all the decorations out Thanksgiving weekend - it just...never felt like it was a big hullabaloo this year. The main group of decorations didn't even get put up til the 18th, and that is just unheard of for us.
I dealt okay with the constant cancellations, but I really didn't want to cancel Christmas Eve with the Gannnaway side. I just didn't. Thankfully, the news Christmas Eve morning was that we should get out while the getting was good and that the weather would clear in time for us to head home that evening. We took it slow and let the kids watch a movie and the roads really weren't too bad. The kids had a wonderful time playing with their cousins for the day and we were able to see both of Steve's grandmas, an aunt and uncle, his parents, and two of his three brothers and their families. We left about time for the kids to go to bed and brought them home and tucked them in with promises of Santa's visit by morning.
Then we set to work getting things ready for Christmas Day. Steve worked on the hors d' oeuvres for the Schultz festivities, and I worked on egg bake and my grandma Alley's apple stollen (a new tradition I started this year) for Christmas morning. Although I missed seeing everyone at the big Gannaway gathering (really more the Bordo side) usually held over dinner (we decided it was too late for the kids this year and too much of a risk that they'd be horrid on Christmas Day), it was very nice to be home in the early evening and be able to get things ready for the next day without being overtired and feeling rushed. The kitchen smelled wonderful and the Christmas carols were playing - and it was some really nice time just to be together. Soon it was time to head up to bed and await Santa's visit in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment