I went to a friend's house the night before last for dinner with the girls. It was soooo relaxing and fun! I looked at my watch and it was 11:15 already!! (It's a 50 minute drive home) I headed home, managed to stay awake on my way, and enjoyed my first opening of the garage door (we only recently got a garage door opener and I'd never had the pleasure of pressing the button and pulling on in), and came in. I set my stuff down and turned off the lights. I carefully proceeded down the halll and up the stairs. I congratulated myself on having avoided the miscellaneous toys scattered in the hall and on my silent ascent. About 3/4 of the way up the stairs I remembered that I'd taken my glasses and contact case with me in case I needed to take my contacts out. Duh duh duh (imagine that sound effect you hear on tv shows). I sneak carefully back down the stairs and make my way to the kitchen and turn on a light. Procure the glasses and case and turn the light off. Sneak back down the hall when.....Barbie suddenly declares "WELCOME BACK!!!! THANKS FOR STOPPING BY!!!! THIS IS BARBIE!" If I could make that font bigger, I would. It scared the bejeebers out of me and for a moment, I thought it had woken the kids. UGH. Fortunately it didn't and I went up to bed without further incident.
It did cause me to think about ridding our household of that toy once and for all. I HATE it. It's a hand me down from my sister's sister-in-law and it's a horrible toy. For one thing, the lid "locks" when you shut it and only the oldest kids can open it. That causes the younger kids to bring it to me no less than 37 times a day to be opened. The on/off button is in an alluring location such that the little kids enjoy pressing it repeatedly. So we hear the greeting, then the goodbye, then the greeting, then the goodbye....over and over and OVER! And the worst insult of them all - there's no volume control (which I didn't realize until I'd already given it to Kailin) and it yells. ALL THE TIME. It's above her age level and the first thing it always yells is "ENTER YOUR NAME!!!!!" Well she can't do that yet and when she doesn't, it yells the request again! And again. And some more after that. I'm not sure what finally triggers it to give up, but it takes AWHILE. Additionally, it's what I call a "call back toy" and if you leave it unattended for any period of time, it screams out inquiries as to your whereabouts about 972 times before it finally screams that it is turning itself off. Usually that last one is the one that jars the kids into running over and pushing a button and then we start the whole thing over again. But they LOVE it. And it does let you play music. Still, I think one of these nights it might just disappear.
At any rate, I never figured I'd be busted by BARBIE for sneaking in late!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
That's awesome! My Mom used to have one of those motion-activated Santa Clauses that she would place strategically around the house so she knew if any of her kids were sneaking in late. Scared the snot out of me.
Maya had the ghost talking Mickey Mouse that would just start talking randomly, we couldn't figure out what was waking her up night after night. We heard it over the monitor one time and I ran in there with grim thought of Raising Arizona in my head. Great story. (Never had an opportunity to appreciate a garage myself until last year's snow...niiiiice)
Hannah has an Elmo Knows your Name that acts similarly sometimes. At least that has an off switch.
Garages are good. For us, it's keeping the heat out instead of the snow off, but I HATE when Stacy is working on something and I can't park in the garage.
Sigh...that was the BEST laugh yet!!!
Reminds me of the "singing" dog toys that go off in the middle of the night that cause you to pause in your dreams to wake, but not move, and starts your heart thumping in your ears. And when you are finally brave enough to reach out into the darkness and turn on the light to begin an investigation. And before you can move further, it happens again, scaring the stuffing out of you once more.
The investigation turns into a chuckle when you find some moronic dog decided to use the "singing" toy as a pillow and was simply readjusting and gives the look of "trying to sleep here! turn off the light please!".
Oh and we agree that Barbie is a HORRIBLE TOY!! LOL!
Post a Comment