I took the kids outside to play tonight. We had a snow storm yesterday and Kailin's been itching to get out and play in the snow ever since we had the first flurries during which she and Dakota both declared their intent to go sledding that very day (even though nothing was even sticking to the grass). I'd been putting her off for the reason that I didn't have any snow pants for Dawson, but also because Colby had never played in the snow before and I wanted Steve to be here when he did.
Unfortunately, I needed to finish shoveling the driveway and Steve had to teach dog school tonight. So with his blessing I bundled up the kids after the boys left and we headed out. I was a little worried about how Colby would like snow, but I was under strict ordered to document the event on film and video. I needn't have worried. Colby ADORES the snow! He was giggling and laughing and tromping all over. Of course my preference is for photos over video and as it got darker video became much less of an option anyway, but our camera's flash was doing something weird either because of the snow or the darkness and I managed to miss almost every one of Colby's smiles. Darn it anyway!! While I was shoveling, Kailin brought me a chunk of ice/snow that was flat on the bottom. I admired it and she said, "This is an ice floe, Mom." What?! An ice floe? (I know the term but was having issues with my 3 year old using it correctly (well, semi-correctly anyway)) "It's an ice floe, like it the arctic." "Where did you learn that?" "Dora." So I guess letting her watch Dora now and again isn't all bad!!
I ran back in the house to get some better mittens. When I came out, there was Kailin with my giant shovel trying to do the walk. What a sweetheart! It was pretty funny to watch. I think she succeeded in shoveling about 7 molecules of snow, but it's the effort that matters!Kailin asked if she could sled. I promised that we would after I finished the shoveling. Truth be told, I think I was just as excited as she was! I loaded her in and off we went. One figure 8 around the side yard and it was Colby's turn. He delighted in the sled ride, but wasn't as keen on sharing as his sister was!
He screamed and wailed for her entire second ride. On one of Kailin's turns, I took a turn too fast and dumped her out head over heels onto her face. I feared the worst, but she emerged giggling so hard she could barely breathe!
He screamed and wailed for her entire second ride. On one of Kailin's turns, I took a turn too fast and dumped her out head over heels onto her face. I feared the worst, but she emerged giggling so hard she could barely breathe! If you're looking for a way to prove to yourself that you are entirely out of shape, I recommend pulling kids around the yard in a sled! I declared one more ride each and then had the brilliant idea to see if they'd both fit. They had a blast!! But pulling 66lbs of kids around the yard is WORK for sure!! It was time to go in and warm up and let the dogs out, but it was a fun-filled hour and one I won't soon forget!

No comments:
Post a Comment