Monday, September 15, 2008

New pants...

I had to do it. Saturday I bought new jeans. I swore I wouldn't. I hoped I wouldn't need to. I'm sure you've guessed by now that the new jeans were not purchased because my old ones wore out (although the two pair that still fit did wear out last week. One pair I'd had since HIGH SCHOOL and the other pair was at least 5 years old). I'd love to report that my old jeans were all too big for me, but that would be a big fat lie. No, they're too small. I can still get them on. I can wear them. But they don't make me feel very good about myself and they aren't very comfortable. I don't enjoy wearing them and I don't enjoy the feeling I get when I'm wearing them. I thought it would motivate me to lose a little weight, but so far all it's done is depress me.

The chilly weather is a comin' here and something had to be done. I bought 2 new pair of jeans which, along with some other pants I have(wind pants, etc), should get me through the week. I thought it would depress me. Instead, I love them. They are a perfect fit, and have invigorated me and renewed my interest in fitting into my old jeans again. Funny how you don't know yourself as well as you think even after 33 years of being you. I thought I was sure that if I bought some jeans in the next size up, that would become my new size (as it has in the past) and I'd think "why bother" and I would just keep doing that until I was enormous and unable to fit through the door. Okay, maybe not that bad, but my past has shown me the dangers of buying jeans one size up.

I'm no skinny Minnie - never have been - have come to terms with the idea that I never will be even if I try. I'm not built that way for starters. I have a broad back and broad shoulders. I'd look dumb as a size 4. I'd be disproportionate. And I like food. I like it a lot. I don't need to eat vast quantities of it (all the time - sometimes I do... ha ha ha), but I do enjoy it. I like sweet stuff. I always will. I know that trying to change that is futile so I try to eat in moderation and get some exercise in. I strive for mediocrity. Ha ha. I'd just like to be average. I will be average. But not today. So for today I'm going to wear my new, much more comfortable, jeans and enjoy the idea that my old jeans could be this comfortable again by Thanksgiving if I put my mind to it. Then I'm going to hop to it and make that a reality. Stay tuned for updates on the jeans fit situation. And if I ever report that I've had to buy jeans ANOTHER size up, somebody come and tape my mouth shut!!!

No comments: