Church was an adventure yesterday. We got off to a late start so Steve stashed Colby in the nursery while Kailin and I went in to sit down. Both kids were up late on Saturday night, so they were both overtired. Colby was his amiable little self, but Kailin was antsy. Not a good attribute for church. She wiggled around and did her coloring, but she was mostly quiet for the first part of the service. Toward the middle things started getting out of hand. I pulled her onto my lap.
The sermon began. I noticed that one of her classmates, Gillian, had a stuffed dog two pews ahead of us. We've always told Kailin that there are no animals allowed in church. I hoped she wouldn't notice. No such luck. She hissed, "Mooooom! There are NO dogs allowed in church." I whispered that I knew that. She hissed, "WHY does she have a dog in church?" I whispered that I guessed her mommy and daddy had decided it was okay. She was satisfied and I said a little prayer of thanks! She was quiet for a few minutes and then as if a light bulb had gone off in her head, she said in a loud whisper, "MOM!!!!! Do you see God up there?" Rather than go into a philosophical discussion about how we can see God everywhere (and because I was TRYING to listen to the sermon), I just said, "No, honey, that's Pastor Paul!" I stifled a laugh.
Things went downhill from there. Steve ended up taking Kailin to the nursery. Colby thought he was getting picked up and then both kids were wailing. Thankfully, they both stopped fairly quickly. Kailin was VERY disappointed when we came to pick Colby up from nursery and she had to stay - her Sunday School is in the same room. There was MUCH wailing. We hid out for a few minutes to see if she'd stop and she did.
We ran off to Target to pick up a few things and Colby picked out a (much more expensive than is normally justified) stuffed bear. He's calling him Bearby now and is already very attached. I'm a little nervous because the thing says, "spot clean only" and I can already tell you that there will be more than spots in need of cleaning in the not too distant future!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment