Thursday, June 12, 2008

Feelin' Hot Hot Hot!!

Colby gave us quite a scare this week. He came down with a 104 fever on Tuesday evening, but was otherwise acting pretty much fine (maybe a bit more clingy than normal, but his appetite was fine). We medicated and put him to bed.

Wednesday it was 103 when he woke up, but again - he was mostly fine. Appetite- pretty much normal. Fluid intake - normal. Diapers - normal. Activity level other than during a fever spike - normal. I let it go (well, that is to say that I medicated every 3 hours alternating between ibuprofen and acetaminophen but did not call the Dr.) because he was still acting fine and I've read time and time again to judge by the behavior of the child not the temperature.

Well, I threw that out the window at 11pm when I temped him when he woke crying and it was 105.2!!! I've never had a child with a temp that high and it scared the dickens out of me. I gave him ibuprofen and rocked him for half an hour to let it kick in. Temped him again. 104.2. I got Steve up. I hate those horrible parent moments when you are caught between believing that perhaps you are being an alarmist and praying that you don't let it go and find something horrible has happened come morning and regret it and blame yourself for life. Guess I'd rather have some people think I'm an alarmist (or a spaz) than have the latter, so I trooped downstairs to look up the 24 hour nurse line for our insurance. They told me to take him to urgent care, then said maybe if he was behaving normally, I should just call our Dr.'s on call service. I called and the dr on call (Dr. Wilfong - who was fantastic) called me back fairly instantaneously and after diligently listening to me go on and on about what was going on, determined that my gut was right - he was probably fine, just had a virus going on, and that I was doing everything I should be for him. (holy run-on sentence, Batman!) He did say that Colby should be seen Thursday morning, though. We all went back to bed (Colby was already in bed sleeping peacefully while I fretted about him) whereupon Steve went to sleep and I laid awake til nearly 2 despite the reassurance from Dr. Wilfong.

Around 4, Colby woke crying again and when I went in he was COLD. The fever had broken! I covered him up and rocked him some and then went back to bed. He woke up at 5:45 crying, but I think he was just cold again since he was dressed so lightly. He immediately fell asleep in my arms. He felt warm, but not hot. He was shivering pretty bad, though. His temp was 100, so that wasn't so bad.

Okay, I wrote all of the above on Thursday. Now it's Saturday and he's STILL got a fever. It's pretty low grade now and not really affecting him too much, so I'm thankful for that part. He is still very moody and sleepy a lot, though, so that's been making for some interesting days these past few days. Kailin's spiked a 100 or so temp a couple of times, but other than that she SEEMS to be escaping it so far. I'm going to pray that it misses her - for her sake and mine!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Well, that explains why I haven't heard much from you this week. I take back all I "said" when I was disappointed there were no updates on the blog. :) If it makes you feel any better, Mark always ran very high temperatures when he was sick, which caused us to end up in the ER/urgent care more than once. Christian would be just as sick, but not with the high temps. Just another example of how God builds us all just a little bit different. Praying for a speedy recovery for Colby and protection for Kailin, Steve, and you.

Grace's Loyal Subjects said...

Yikes - hope he is doing better! I've been going through the same thing for five days ... so far Grace has not gotten it ... whew. I hope Colby feels better!!!!

Dianne said...

I hope he is feeling better soon.