Monday, June 16, 2008

A Father's Day to remember

Father's Day dawned early for Steve. Well, 6am anyway. Kailin was up. I got up with her, but Steve was downstairs shortly thereafter. Colby, however, slept in until 7:20. He needed it. The poor guy is still a bit out of sorts after his fever frenzy last week. Steve got his gifts and his card. Kailin, despite my urgings that Daddy loves green, chose pink paper for her artwork, but of course Steve loved it all the same.

We set a game plan. We'd finish breakfast and then I'd shower (neither of us got showers on Saturday, so it needed to be addressed!) Steve would stay home with the kids while I ran to Target and went grocery shopping. Then he'd try to mow the lawn while I watched the kids and then we'd have lunch and he could play his new Wii game (Blazing Angels - a WWII flying game) during their afternoon naps. Then we'd decide whether Colby was up for an outing and maybe take the kids to the park. Colby, due to illness (and nap schedule), declined to make a card this year.

We ate breakfast and I showered and then we reformulated the game plan. Isn't that how it always works when you have kids? I would take Kailin with me so that Steve could mow the lawn while Colby napped since it was becoming rather obvious that we misjudged the time a little (lot) bit. With new plan in hand, I prepared to leave just in time for Steve to remember that we were out of gas for the lawn mower. Re-reformulate (good thing reformulated plans don't cost as much as reformulated gas does!!) I will put Colby down for his nap while Steve goes to get gas (I HATE getting gas in one of those little containers. It makes me nervous.). Then Kailin and I will go and we will proceed with the old new plan. Kailin throws a tantrum because she can't get her crocs on (as I'm trying to get up the stairs with Colby) and when I tell her to take it all the way off and try again, she hits me with it in frustration. I wonder to myself whether or not I will actually be going anywhere. Set Colby down and remove offending crocs for a timeout. Commence screaming tantrum (her not me!) which I'm certain was heard by the tri-county area. Put Colby down for his nap and return downstairs to discuss why we don't hit with shoes (or anything else) and confirm with her that IF I take her to the stores with me, she will refrain from further tantrums and will be a good listener (fat chance). She agrees. Steve returns and as I head out the door, Sugar starts barking hysterically from the basement which causes Colby to start crying. I apologize to Steve for the possibility that he will not, in fact, get the lawn mowed at all, and RUN out the door with Kailin in tow.

I'm happy to say that the shopping excursion was mostly uneventful and even somewhat pleasurable. I stopped on the way home and got Kailin a chicken sandwich and small fries from McDonald's as a treat (it was also nearly nap time by the time we made it home and I was anxious for her to eat quickly and get to bed).

To make a long story short, we prodded her to eat and then she stuffed a large bite of chicken sandwich into her already full of french fries mouth and gagged and puked right into Steve's hands. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!! She declared that she was done with lunch and we put both kids to bed.
When they awoke, we decided that we all needed an outing, so we trooped off to the park. Kailin had a good time, but I think she wasn't feeling quite herself as she didn't swing very long and seemed a little unsure about what to do with herself. As you can see, Colby wasn't really into it, either. He preferred to play in the stones over anything else and it wasn't long before we decided to abandon the park and "go McDonald's, get some ice cream". Colby didn't want his, so Kailin got two. Ha. Guess he was saving room for corn.

Steve gave the kids a bath while I cooked dinner. While we were eating dinner he asked Colby if he'd told me what he did in the tub. I said that he hadn't. Steve said, "he blew bubbles!" I was surprised that he got his face wet. Steve said, "He wasn't making them with his face...." Oh. He went on to say that when he got Colby out of the tub and was drying him off, he felt some "activity" down there and was a little concerned that perhaps he'd be both puked on and pooped on not only in the same day - but both on Father's Day no less. Luckily it was a false alarm. Needless to say, Father's Day for Steve ended with a mad scramble to get both kids to bed and relax. Ha ha. Better luck next year!

No comments: