Sunday, June 22, 2008

Smashmallows

I've noticed that Kailin's treat of choice lately has changed from "M's" (okay, the apostrophe doesn't belong there - the M&Ms aren't doing anything and they don't own anything, and yet if I take it out and look like I'm aware of those facts, the phrase appears as though perhaps my daughter's treat of choice is a woman's magazine rather than a chocolate treat. I will apparently opt to look like I am slightly idiotic rather than confuse you about Kailin's choice in shopping trip goodies.) to "smashmallows". It doesn't matter where we go - Target, Aldi, Pick 'n Save, Walmart... she wants "smashmallows". Don't get me wrong - she'll EAT M's anytime. She's excited about M's. But our immediate quest in the store is now to find the smashmallows. Here's the problem. While the smashmallows (I'm done with the quotes) have less sugar and certainly less fat than the M's and therefore are a better choice in my opinion, smashmallows are actually not packaged as kid snacks. They come only in 9000 cup bags. Perhaps that might be a SLIGHT exaggeration, but come on - even with summer upon us and chances for s'mores abounding, there are only just so many smashmallows one needs around the house. The game now is to allow her to FIND the smashmallows, but then convince her that we have a large supply already at home in an attempt to avoid adding another bag to the stash. I think so far my success rate is about 50%. She really doesn't often ask for anything (else), so I'm not too worried about stockpiling the smashmallows. We can start eating Rice Krispies treats for dessert every night if things start to get out of hand....

3 comments:

Carrie said...

So...for dinner Friday I guess we are having rice krispy treats as a main course followed by s'mores for dessert. I guess to be "healthy" we could have sweet potatoes with melted smashmallows on top as a side dish. And for an appetizer we can make little men out of smashmallows and pretzels.

Sarah said...

You are SASSY, Carrie!!

You forgot that to "healthy it up" we'll be having corn on the cob....

Yes, let's sugar up the 4 children under 3 and see what happens!!!

Carrie said...

I just got back from vacation bible school with over 1200 kiddos...I already knows what happens when they get too much sugar. :)