Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Xin Nian Kuai Le

I'm sure I messed up the spelling somehow. Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year! (a day (or so) late and a dollar short - as always!). We celebrated first at Kailin's Cricket School with some very yummy dumplings, mandarin oranges, almond cookies and a fortune cookie (and the classic Chinese beverage- Capri Sun (ha ha ha)). Then we watched a dragon dance and headed off to the Mitchell Park Domes with our friends the Klopfs. In addition to the Chinese New Year festivities there, the show dome is all set up with trains and the kids went wild! Kailin's teacher, Miss Ping, was there and Kailin informed her that this is the year of the camel. Lovely. There is no camel on the Chinese zodiac, of course, and we've talked about it being the year of the ox more than once. Selective memory, I guess. We finished out the day having the Klopfs over for a play date and dinner.
I made sweet and sour chicken, napa cabbage salad, and steamed veggies with ginger sesame sauce. It was a great dinner and we had Sharon's mandarin orange trifle for dessert. Colby REALLY enjoyed himself with that one! Monday we had sesame ribs and broccoli for dinner to celebrate the actual day. It was a fun Chinese New Year!
Now on to Colby's birthday! I'm dying to cut his hair, so tomorrow can't arrive soon enough. We're going much less Asian for his birthday - he adores tacos so that's what we're having. Stay tuned for pictures of that mess...er...meal.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Sounds like you had a great celebration. And more to come...Happy Birthday, Colby!