Sunday, January 18, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree

Today was the day. I could wait no more (and also the pick-up is tomorrow). Our Christmas tree - the giant, full, fill the room beauty is now a dried up shell of it's former self. It does, however, have about a million times more needles on it than our tree last year which yielded about 3" of needles on our carpet in less time than this one's been up. This year's tree also remained on the roof of the car and remained standing - a feat we've not seen since we moved into this house. I'm hoping it's the sign of a new era in Gannaway family Christmas trees. Only time will tell. I do know that this year's tree served us well - it lit up our room and gave us joy. (it also gave us frustration as the kids and dogs tried their best to strip it of it's ornaments daily) It was a gorgeous tree and it looked beautiful - but it looked good naked, too. It made me a little sad today to take everything off - both because it signals the true end of our Christmas Season, but also because it was such an event to put the decorations and lights on and it was such a non-event to take them off. I took a little time to think about our Christmas and about where all of our ornaments came from and that seemed like a fitting tribute to the tree. Yes, perhaps I've waxed a little saptastic here (no pun intended), but the Christmas tree really is a huge part of Christmas for me and I'm always sad to see it go. I can't wait to see what our tree will look like next year!!

2 comments:

Sharada & Richard Kettle said...

And here is to continued transportation success for future Gannaway trees!!! May many a tree secure a safe ride home. ;-)

Traveling Mercies said...

ha i love the (non)pun! also, i really identify with this post. i actually just wrote my newsletter article for february on this very thing!