Monday, January 5, 2009

Boop, inooo, and belax!

It's been awhile since I chronicled any of the kids verbal efforts.


Colby's speech truly is booming now. He's definitely trying to say everything we do and acknowledging his efforts with a simple "mmmhmmmm" just won't do. He wants you to repeat back to him what he said so that he can be sure that you are truly in the know. My favorites at the moment (although phee (fan) is still hanging on and making me giggle) are "boop" (boot) and his version of "I don't know" which comes out jammed together and missing the "don't" portion. "INOOOOOO!!!"


Kailin came up to me the other day and said, "Mom, just be lax." Be lax? Like bend the rules? Or maybe be spontaneous instead of doing work? No. "Belax. Take a deep breff and just belax." Ha ha ha. I've been told to "belax" more times than I can count now. If only she could say it when I really needed to do that!!


This has nothing to do with anything, but I was in Target the other day with a gingerbread house in my cart. They were 75% off and we do one every year - but we don't eat it, so why not get it now for next year? (although this year (model pictured here) Colby figured "five for me, one on the house" was a great approach- but a little stale candy never hurt anyone, right?!) Anyway, I was driving around and an older couple passed me in the aisle and the man turned back and leaned over and said to me (in a grandfatherly sort of way) "You will regret that purchase." I explained that I was sure I would not. And he said, "Oh, you will...." I smiled and said, "We do one every year. The kids love it. We have a lot of fun." His wife smiled back and said, "Don't listen to him. I never regretted it when we did it." I said, "Oh, we'll have candy all over the floor and they'll be a sticky mess - I know, but that's what we have dogs and washcloths for." She said, "Exactly." and they both smiled and walked away.
In that single chance encounter, three things occurred to me. One - I'm not always the mom who doesn't care so much about a mess. I'm not a huge fan of playdoh, for instance, and don't get me started on sand. But I am glad that I can be the mom who doesn't care about the sticky mess at least once a year and who will have many fond memories of beautiful gingerbread creations. Two - I hope that someday Steve and I are the old couple joking with a young mom in the store. They were such a cute couple and you could see that they still had a spark for one another, a history together, and fun memories to look back upon. And lastly - they reminded me to enjoy the here and now - the messes, the funny words, my children's desire to have me play with them....for all too soon we will indeed be that couple and we will have many memories, but I'm guessing that we'll be wondering where the time all went and talking about how fast our kids grew up. So I'm busy dreaming up the next fun mess making opportunity for the kids...maybe some snowman cookies I saw in a magazine...or maybe it'll be a playdoh sort of day. Definitely not sand, though. That one's off the table.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I met a similar couple at the podiatrist office yesterday. It wasn't about children...they don't have any and were still lamenting the death of their parents...their only family...even though they are of an age when it would be unusual to still have all their parents. But they were in love and friendly and kind. It reminded me that it doesn't take much effort to be like that and that I hope I am more often than not. They sure brought a smile to my face.