Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm moving out....

Last week just before bed, Kailin and I had a long discussion about what happens when kids grow up. "What will you do," she asked, "when Colby and me grow up?" "Be sad and lonely," I said. "Why?" "Because you'll grow up and move out and this house will be horribly quiet." "What?" "Well if you're not here talking and giggling then it's going to be quiet." "Why won't I be here?" "Because when you get all grown up you will move out and have your own house." "Why would I do that?" "You'll want to have your own place, trust me. Now it's time for bed. Goodnight!"

Today at lunch, Kailin very seriously informed her brother that when they get all grown up, I will be moving out. Me. I told her that she was a bit mistaken. She told me that I must be joking. I told her that I most definitely was not moving out. She's convinced, still, that I am joking. I guess we'll see who's right - maybe by the time the kids are grown they will indeed finally have taken over the house and we will actually flee....