Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Me dood it, ool gone, and RIDE ON!!!!

I've been meaning to blog for awhile about the prevalence of "dude" in our house. It's not so much "dude" actually as "dood". As in, "ME dood it!!!!" should you try to help Colby with something or "Bubbee dood it!" if he's trying to get himself out of trouble. It's cute. Kailin never used dood or "me" incorrectly, but both of the little boys do. I know I should be correcting them. I promised myself I'd start as soon as the bigger kids go off to school, but somehow "dood" is just to irresistibly cute to put a stop to just now.

Colby also seems to have, in some cases, some sort of European accent. I've been struggling with how to articulate how it sounds, and "ool gone" is about all I can come up with. It's definitely not all or awl or ole....it's ool. I don't know where he picked it up, but I find it nearly as endearing as "dood" and that one's not even technically wrong, so I'm letting it be!!

Lastly, Colby's been having a hard time this summer. Dawson learned how to pedal really early in the summer as did the little girl next door (who's not even two yet). He WANTED to do it. We worked and worked on it and I tried pushing his little legs from the top and pushing the bike itself so he could feel how it should feel with his feet going around. No luck. I tried being in front of the bike and sort of pulling his feet around on the pedals so that the right leg muscles would work. Nothing. He looked the other kids and then tried to effect what he saw. I could see him struggling with it and it was a testament to his patience (unlike his sister). He is VERY proficient at foot pedaling (Flintstones style) his little bike and is faster doing that than most kids who pedal. Yesterday, though, was finally his day! He has a long way to go and still gets frustrated, but he pedaled a good long piece all on his own. Of course he celebrated by screaming, "Mommy - look!! Me dood it!!!"

No comments: