Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dude

We went for a walk at the State Park a couple weeks ago. It was a lovely day and I had the kids in capris (okay, I don't know what you call boys' capris. Surely not capris, but they were definitely not shorts and certainly not pants that were too short - so????) and short sleeved shirts. As a last thought I grabbed jackets for both of them in case it was cooler by the lake.

Both kids had sunglasses on in the car, and by the time we reached the park, Kailin had talked Colby into switching with her. That left Kailin with the potentially passable as unisex red pair with the grey stripes and Colby with the most definitely feminine green pair with tiny flowers. He didn't care - so neither did we.

We got just a small piece down the path when it became clear that the jackets were going to be necessary. Regrettably, all I'd been able to find for Colby was a tan jacket. More regrettably, when I put it on him, I found it to be short. Even more regrettably, it and his tan pants clearly did not match and he had on grey socks (he'd stepped in smeared strawberries with his white ones at lunch and I'd had no choice). Combined with the girls' sunglasses he looked like, well, a dork. I said to Steve, "Look at our son. He looks like such a..." and then Kailin interjected, "Dude. He looks like a dude, Mom." And look like a dude he did!!

1 comment: