Saturday, December 26, 2009

I don't.... Houston, we have lift off!!

For the longest time, Colby's been telling me "I nebber use the potty, Mommy." I didn't push because in the experience of my friends, it's futile and maddening to try to force a child who is not ready to toilet train. I did, however, offer at opportune times. And I always got the less than desirable "nebber" response. Then a week ago Thursday, Colby woke up dry. Even Kailin has only woken up dry a precious few number of times. Both kids are very deep sleepers, so I am not surprised. I knew his bladder had to be full, so I plunked him down on the potty and I got "Mom, I don't." He doesn't use the phrase "I can't" (I prefer the kids to say "I need help" not "I can't" but he just plain doesn't seem to know the word "can't" so he substitutes "don't" and it's pretty cute and also quite funny.

I told him that if he wasn't going to use the potty I was going to put his nighttime diaper back on. He prefers the pictures on his daytime diaper, so he was none too happy with me, but I figured the nighttime diaper was already wasted and I wasn't about to waste another one since he was inevitably going to go soon and fill the darned diaper. I tried hard not to be the least bit annoyed by any of it, but I kind of failed. I don't think I portrayed it outwardly, though.

The following morning I intended to put the kids in the tub first thing as we were planning on being out that evening on a date and were headed off to the Lemm's for the weekend on Saturday morning. Colby woke up dry again and although I have come to grips with the fact that all little boys will pee in the tub a little, I wasn't about to bathe both kids in an all night bladder full of it!! I plunked his little nudie back on the toilet and told him he wasn't getting in the bath until he peed. (It was true enough - if he hadn't gone on the toilet my intention was to bathe Kailin and then just shower him separately...)

Whether it was the combination of the running water and the full bladder, the threat of missing out on bath, or just God's gift to me I'll never know, but Colby said, "Oh, okay!!" and commenced emptying his entire bladder. It's like the switch had been thrown and he suddenly moved from solely being able to make a toot on the potty to knowing what made the pee come out. (sorry for the graphic nature of this post, but there's just no way around it) I'd been telling him that if he peed on the potty I'd get him some Diego pull ups and so after praising him up and down for his feat, I went that very day and got them. We haven't really looked back. I was sure we'd be back in diapers and we occasionally are for part of a day to drive home the point that he needs to go in the potty, but he's far more potty trained than I expected 8 days in!

We're still working on doing #2 in the potty, though. I was so amused on Tuesday this week when he ran his little buns into the kitchen and screamed at me "I need to POOP!!!" I hustled him off to the potty, got him on, and then he looked at me and shook his head and said definitively, "I don't." It continued to be funny to me the other seven times it happened that morning. "I don't." Not, "I don't go poop now" or "I don't need to"; just "I don't". I'm a little disappointed that he "still doesn't" more often than not, but I do know that #2 comes later for a lot of kids and truthfully, if it had to be one switch or the other, I'll take the control of #1 for now and we'll work on #2.

I'll post again when the glorious day comes that "he does". Ha ha ha. My little man is growing up!

No comments: