Usually it's Colby these days who is entertaining us with his interpretation of everyday words. Kailin's had a few doozies lately that were worthy of mention - mostly because they were so stinkin' cute I never want to forget them.
The kids have been earning ice cream (not sure if I've mentioned this before) in a program we started where they begin each day with 10 marbles. If they keep their marbles all day (they lose one for failing to listen when they are asked to do (or stop) something and can only earn it back by being "caught in the act" of doing something exceptionally kind for someone else), they earn a sticker. Then at varying intervals (we have a chart so it's easy for them to see what they're working toward) they earn ice cream. The first time we took them out we decided to go to Culver's as a treat. --Let them get whatever they want. Kailin picked vanilla. With nothing on it. Just vanilla. Haaaaaa!! Figures. Colby got chocolate with M&Ms. The next time, as we were on our way, I asked Kailin what she was going to get. She said "chocolate - with M&Ms". Colby said he was going to get plain chocolate. Kailin remarked that they'd make a "patterin". Steve said "huh?" and she said, "A PATTER-IN. First I got plain and my brudder got M's. Now I am getting M's and he is getting plain. That is a patter-in." I leaned over and whispered "a pattern, honey, she means a pattern..." We both chuckled.
One day during spring break (I had 6 kids under six alllll week) I let the big kids play with their Leapsters while the little ones napped. Kailin came running into the kitchen and excitedly told me that she knew how to spell "car". "C-A-R, CAR, Mom!!!!" I congratulated her and off she went. Pretty soon she came racing back in. "I can spell eggsknit, Mom! P-A-U-S-E, eggsknit!" "No, that spells 'pause', honey. I think you pressed the pause button before you ran in here." "No, Mom, it spells 'eggsknit'" "Kailin, what sound does 'eggsknit' start with?" "Eh." "Okay, so what does the first letter of the word on your screen sound like?" "P." "So do you think that is 'eggsknit'?" "Oh, no. Well then how DO you spell 'eggsknit'?" "Well what IS an 'eggsknit'?" "Mom, an eggsknit....you know, like where you go out? The eggsknit." Hee hee hee. I just love that girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment