Monday, November 23, 2009

Collateral damage and fire shammies

I took Kailin on a shopping spritz (not quite a spree) to the dollar store on Saturday. My mom took her last year to get gifts for Steve, Colby, and me and I thought it might be fun to have her pick out gifts for her grandparents, my mom, and her teacher. It was a blast and she pondered each gift fairly carefully (after having to be reminded that we weren't buying things for her to play with at Grandma and Grandpa's, we were buying gifts we (she) thought Grandma and Grandpa would like to have).

After the dollar store, we stopped at Michael's for supplies for a Christmas craft I have in mind. It mystifies me that you can get 75 large popsicle sticks for $2.99 or you can get 300 for $3.99. I guess maybe adults with no kids would think that perhaps they'd never use the other 225, but there's got to be someplace to donate them - church or somewhere - so isn't it a no brainer that you'd get the bigger package?! Anyway, I had already handed Kailin the smaller package when I discovered the larger one. I meant to balance the larger box on the shopping cart handle until she could grab it from me, but instead it toppled into her lap. With a smile on her face she said, "Mom! You tried to damage me!" DAMAGE? DAMAGE? When did my baby get big enough to know (and use) words like "damage"?

In an unrelated topic, I've been meaning to post about Colby's obsession with his "shammies" (pajamas). He would prefer to wear them 24/7 (wouldn't we all!?) and if (when) he doesn't get his way, he voices his disdain LOUDLY. For several nights he went on and on about how he couldn't wear his "fire shammies" because they were wet. Whichever of us was putting the kids to bed "uh-huh'd" our way through the conversation. On about the third night I thought to ask Steve if he had any clue what "fire shammies" might be. He didn't. I didn't. Kailin didn't. And then a lightbulb went on over my head just like in the cartoons. He has a pair of yellow and red tie dye print jammies. The very next morning I opened his drawer and asked him if those were his "fire shammies" and he jumped for joy and said, "My fire shammies clean!!!!! I wear dem tonight?" I assured him he could. Fire shammies are still a hot (no pun intended) item in his drawer, but I'm sad to report that the full on obsession has moved to his Mickey shammies which are sadly out of season. It's going to be a long, long, winter... ha ha ha.

No comments: