Friday, October 9, 2009

Classical taste...

Colby has always been my musical boy. He and I share a true love for music - neither of us can hear it without moving to the beat. I've recently re-discovered my love of classical music and have been listening to it almost exclusively in the last week or so. This morning I've been trying to comb through and pick out some particularly relaxing pieces to put together into a playlist. I don't have a very extensive collection, though, and have been "trying out" some new composers (well, the composers themselves aren't at all new - they're just new to me).

The kids were asking about my headphones earlier today so I decided to let Colby try them out. As I played a snippet of Debussy's "Clare deLune", he was riveted. He looked up at me with his soulful eyes and begged to hear more. I know it's silly to think, but I hope that he'll look back and remember that moment - not necessarily which piece of music it was, but maybe that he shared this moment with me - each of us with an earbud. He probably won't, but I know that I will. It was one of the most everyday, but most touching moments I've had as a mom.

And also, the Paillard Chamber Orchestra and Royal Philharmonic and I don't necessarily agree about which pieces constitute "the Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe". They've got some seriously uptempo pieces in their mix!!

No comments: