Friday, November 12, 2010
Caught in the Act
The other day I let the kids go out in the backyard to play on the playset Steve built for them this summer. They were given strict orders to stay on the swings and not to climb up into the tower. Before anyone goes off about me being an overprotective mother, let me comment that the reason for the mandate is that Steve hadn't yet been able to reattach the slide that blew off in the 70mph wind storm we had the other week and I didn't want the kids forgetting about the gaping hole and falling out the front side of the tower. But back to our story... the kids were out there playing on the swings which isn't particularly fun for Colby at the moment because he can't get on the swing himself and also hasn't quite mastered the leg pump technique to keep himself going. I happened to glance out just in time to see my daughter pushing her brother on the swing and laughing with him. It's moments like those that remind me that my children DO love each other and that all the times I encourage them to treat each other with kindness really do sink in. As soon as she took a break, I called her over to praise her up. That, too, was a good lesson. She ran right back over and asked Colby if he'd like another turn on the swing - even moms need a reminder sometimes that kindness breeds kindness and praise goes further than admonition.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment